Door between garage and outdoors.

Page 2 of 2
On 5/20/2012 11:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Ours have multiple panes. An intruder would have to break several panes and the muntins. If I'm not there........I'm insured. If I *am* there, by the time the intruder gained access I would have my 40 S&W ready to discourage further intrusion. And......Texas has the Castle Doctrine.
On 5/20/12 2:22 PM, Max wrote:

I read that... I took a tangent. :-)
--

-MIKE-

says...

If you have glass doors a deadbolt isn't going to stop anybody. They'll just bust out the glass and walk through.
On 5/22/2012 11:18 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

It makes a big difference when filing the claim. With the broken door that is no questioning the "breaking" and entering.
Yes it will damage your house but do you leave your doors unlocked.
Of course I am the type that when I had my convertible and parked it with the top down, would lock the doors.
"Max" wrote in message

Are you serious? =============================================================================Yes, I am as I don't have any burglar friendly exterior doors.

*snip&trim*
The shims are installed between the door frame and studs to allow the door to be properly aligned (level and true) and to maintain that alignment. They're hidden under the trim.
A shim can also be installed under the strike plate to raise it, but usually when someone is talking about door shims it's the material between door frame and studs.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Puckdropper wrote:

Puck, Thank you for the explanation. The trim is already off (you may recall that I'm "remodeling"), and there are no shims. I actually tried putting things in there to make the door stay closed in the winter. Two fingers works for instance. However, I looked closely today, and the door fits the frame perfectly now. It was probably hung in May, 1972. Seriously. : )
Bill

It sounds like your jamb is bowing outward in the winter, so you'll need something to support the jamb and keep it from moving. Shims from the hardware store, installed properly, should fix that problem.
I've got a basement door that does the same thing, I'm going to have to see if my suggestion works there as well... Another thing on the todo list.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On Sat, 19 May 2012 07:57:43 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

now.