Domin-OH (wow)

Page 2 of 3
On 2/25/2013 10:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Reading the myriad answers to my question, apparently there is not a planet where GIGO does not apply. LOL
It why: "I have memorized the key strokes for conversion on every calculator/device I have, and have tape measure with inches and mm on opposite sides."
... and then double check. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I actually bought a couple of those 12' tapes you recommended and they come in handy. Only problem I have is when I'm in some akword position and realize I have the tape in the wrong hand to get an accurate measurement because the wrong scale is pointed toward my work surface. Tape is easier then having to remember 2.54 cm to the inch.
Mike M
On 2/26/2013 11:21 AM, Mike M wrote:

And for that very reason I don't necessarily like using a combo inch/mm tape ... but they are handy when setting up the Festool plunge saw/parallel guides to cut sheet goods for that initial setup to get you close; and also for a quick reference when having to make conversions.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

But uhhhh 1" = 25.4 mm
As previously mentioned, you have to use the correct data to get the correct answer.
So for the 3rd time,
21-3/32" = 21.09375" = 535.7813 mm
21.09375 * 24.4 mm = 535.7813 mm
On 2/26/2013 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Say what! LOL
You sound like me trying to get CutList to print a Layout of "Rough Lumber" last week. <g,d&r>
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/26/2013 9:31 AM, Swingman wrote:

SHIT!
21.09375 * """ 25.4 """ = 535.7813 I'm going to blame the iPad keyboard ;~)
At least when I am proven wrong I'll readily admit it.
Don't you just hate it when Todd so eloquently explains something and all you can say to yourself is Doh!
FWIW I use dimensional lumber for everything except panels.

Here on the East coast there are still 25.4 millimeters per inch. When did they change it in California?
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote in wrote:

Well, the meter was originally based on some measurement between the North pole and equator at some specific time. It's entirely possible that using that old method it could have grown. Hasn't been that way for over a century, but maybe Lew still remembers when it was. *g*
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

A few good things that originated in California have worked their way across the country over the years. "Right turn on red after stopping" comes to mind. I hope this change to 25.6mm/inch does not make it!
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Actually it is 535.7813 mm
540 mm = 21.25984 "
Leon wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Are you using 1" = 25.6 mm?
Lew

I hope not. 1" = 25.4 mm.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------- "Puckdropper" wrote:

----------------------------------------- Is the mind the first or the second thing to go?
Lew
On 2/25/2013 6:11 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I rest my case ... ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I don't know, forget about the 3/32" for a minute, 21" by itself is more than half a meter...

Simple rule of thumb 5cm is approx 2in. 4in per 10 cm (100mm).
21/2 = 10.5 * 5 = 52.5 cm = 525 mm. It's not exact, but will give one an idea of the general vicinity.
On 2/26/2013 10:20 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

The measurement 21 3/32" implies accuracy to within 1/32". I don't think this should be compromised in the translation.
On 2/26/2013 9:26 AM, Bill wrote:

Absolutely ... 1/32" is the fractional resolution to which I set my calculators and drawing programs for woodworking projects.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

It's a simple means to check that the "227mm" is in the approximate ballpark (which it wasn't) not to get an accurate result.
I prefer story sticks.
scott
On 2/26/2013 10:47 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

So do I ... but you must have an existing part, dimension, distance, span on which to use a story stick.
Once that first part is cut accurately to a 1/32, then it's story stick time. :)