Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Not according to Toyota!

"An anti-drainback valve, which prevents oil from draining out of the engine and into the oil pan, helping to protect your engine from increased wear during cold starts."

John Horner

You just might not be so much smarter, better informed and more deeply educated than other people as you may think.

Reply to
John Horner

The "sliding scale for fuel economy" is called "Corporate Average Fuel Economy" or "CAFE" and it is a tax law. The only relation to emissions laws is that the EPA is charged with calculating the fuel economy on which the tax is based. There is no sliding standard for _emissions_ that I am aware of . The deal is that the automakers are taxed on the _average_ fuel economy of all cars they sell. There is no prohibition on large cars, but if they sell too many of them their taxes go up.

And trucks and SUVs are _exempt_ from CAFE as are most other "commercial vehicles". This is the main reason that the car manufacturers are selling so many of them--station wagons and large sedans are _not_ exempt so they've cut way back on those and instead are selling SUVs in the same niches.

CT does that too but only in the winter.

Reply to
J. Clarke

But, apparently just as good as the dinky toy made of pot "white" metal.

Reply to
Ralph

Your name is Ralph and the topic is Toyota oil filters. Get with the program!

Reply to
Robatoy

Most people I know who have jobs don't have "part time gigs", but many of them drive SUVs.

Maybe I should start a "part time gig".

Reply to
J. Clarke

employed, there are 37 million SUVs on the road, so even if every self-employed person drove one that would only be a quarter of the total, and that leaves aside the vans and pickups that bring the total to over 90 million. Thus that tax may be a factor, but it's a long, long way from the major reason for their popularity. In fact I wouldn't buy one to get a tax deduction unless the tax deduction came to an amount greater than the difference in purchase price between that and something smaller that met my needs.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It becomes economically viable when somebody can figure out how to produce something else and get it to the consumer at a price point less than that that is being charged for the current fuels. As to what that price point will be, I'm not a professional energy industry analyst--any number I came up with would be about as valid as rolling a set of dice.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There are many people who are much smarter, better informed, and more deeply educated than I am. You do not appear to be among them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The purpose of a 250 GTO was to win races, not to prop up overweight teenagers. Every part on it was as strong and as heavy as it needed to be and no stronger and no heavier. The hinges needed to hold up the door. They did that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Yeah, check their gas mileage also while you are at it. If you have not noticed that is what I am complaining about.

Reply to
Leon

all vehicles. Not all same brand filters operate the same. If genuine Toyota top located filters empty out there would be no check valve preventing this. Besides that, the statement is probably worded wrong. I do not know of a common automotive engine that oil does not naturally flow from the engine into the oil pan during operation. The oil goes into the filter before returning to the engine. They probably meant to say that some filters check valves prevent oil from draining from the filter back into the oil pan. The filter does take some time to refill if empty.

Reply to
Leon

3 Additionally, if they ran gasoline on those supercharged engines with those compression ratios the heads would probably blow right off.
Reply to
Leon

Come on, John, if the smartest woman in Washington can do it, why not the smartest man on the Internet?

His problem was that the facts, with which he might "educate" us, simply weren't on his side.

I guess now we'll both be accused of whining.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Damn, Leon - your probably using too much nitrous ;-)

Doug Winterburn

I always change my own oil. I always use the Toyota OEM filter specifically listed for my 2005 Tacoma. The filter is mounted gasket down, on _top_ of the engine (the highest point in the oil system). I drive the truck on the ramps, drop the drain plug, and by the time I get back to the filter, there's nothing left in it but a few drops.

Frank's aftermarket filter is still full, on the same engine.

Interpret that however you wish.

Reply to
B A R R Y

There's no law that says you have to have one to drive an SUV.

However, lots of jobs that may look like employees, because they work often at the same place, like real estate agents, hair dressers, nurses, doctors, sales people, financial planners, flight instructors, exotic dancers, etc... are actually paid as sub-contractors and entitled to business expense deductions.

Some of the part-time gigs that allow people to deduct expenses can include musicians, tutors and private teachers, artists, Tupperware and Pampered Chef party organizers, personal trainers, lawn mowing, handymen, woodworkers, tax preparers...

The point is that extremely favorable tax treatment (sometimes, very loosely applied and not caught by the IRS) steered lots of folks from cars to large vehicles.

Reply to
B A R R Y

It contributes roughly 80% on a specific volume basis and costs now are equivalent or less. Retail pricing, market access and distribution, are, otoh, still issues.

Reply to
dpb

When alternative production and distribution costs are such that the inconvenience of switching to other sources is accepted by consumers.

At one time whale oil was the primary source of residential lighting. We transitioned then to more abundant sources. We'll do it again.

--

Reply to
dpb

It's also a typical reaction of many when presented w/ truths which don't coincide w/ personal agendas and their own set of near-religious beliefs...

Reply to
dpb