Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Page 14 of 16
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:12:17 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Chuckle, and now the outrage of Rudy's infidelity while he was mayor and the police coverup! Good ole Bill was getting his in the same house he lived in while the secret service (appropriate name huh) guarded the door. And the politician TERM LIMITS in congress!!!
BTW on topic, been married to my favorite pal for 23 years and she is still the greatest! (no need for security in our house except S&W) Kenneth

Don't you be diss'n Teddy Kennedy's good friend. They're both working hard for our government to save you from yourself.

Good enough friend for the waitress sandwich...
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 21:06:43 GMT, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

WELL SAID! We deserve what we get. Case in point Teddy (dunk 'em and leave 'em) Kennedy. And people attack candidates for minor infractions. In this country you can buy away manslaughter with enough money! Kenneth
On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 10:05:43 -0800, mac davis

Exactly. I think we not only need term limits, we need political office limits. You can work in politics... ANYWHERE in politics, for a maximum of 10 years, then you need to work for at least 10 years in the private sector, completely outside of the political realm.
Would you be willing to pay $15.00 for an apple? How about $18.00 for a pear? Those who claim that the problem is as simple as throwing out the illegal either don't live in farm country or are not paying attention. Ever picked apples? I have. You won't find enough Americans to get the crops in. You couldn't pay most people enough to do the work. It is not because of low pay. A (Mexican) apple picker can easily make $20.00 an hour. Mexican labor is what keeps the fruit producers going. This is from first hand experience, I live in apple country and used to work in the industry. I could talk to my wife (BTW, it's our 26 wedding anniversary today) about other facets of the farm industry that are just as dependent on Mexican labor (she is an ex migrant farm worker).

"CW" wrote in message

A well administered "guest worker" program, retroactive to include those already here without granting citizenship and rewarding illegality, would be a most sensible solution ... along with elected officials with less self-interest and enough sense to implement one. Countries in Europe have been doing it for years, with less risk to sovereignty and greater benefit to economy.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07
Swingman wrote:

That hasn't exactly been working out too well for the Europeans either. Suburbs around Paris have been in flames the past couple of weeks because of some of those "guest workers". Britain is having similar problems.

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

The French couldn't administer a cluster f*ck, and the British let many of those folks in starting about 40 years ago out of colonial guilt, not to work.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/30/07
Swingman wrote:

Not going to disagree with either of your assessments there. However, the same problem is prevalent across Europe -- Spain, Denmark, Sweden, etc. The thing that we do have going for us is that the immigrants we have coming in at least share the same religious background, even if they don't share the same language.

ENOUGH!!!!!!!! BACK TO WOODWORKING FOR PETE'S SAKE.
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 06:59:09 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (James Silcott) wrote:

One could always skip this thread... <G>
James Silcott wrote:

What do you think Chris and Ted were doing with the waitress?
--John

Muslim? Buddhist?
CW wrote:

Get back to me with the stats on the number of muslims and buddhists coming into the country to pick crops (legally or illegally). Then we can discuss your snipe.

You're arguing with a crybaby. He's going to put you in the bozo bin, too, if you're not careful.
--
Regards,
Yes! It's good to see there are some people that have given this some thought. Most seem to be either "let them all in" or "throw them all out" Neither works. The guest worker program would be the best of both. As you say though, it would have to be implemented in the right manor otherwise, it would turn into another "big business replacing Americans with cheap labor" situation. Always a greedy basted trying to get over.

If that's what it took, absolutely, but that's not even remotely close to reality. Prices on produce would go up a few cents at best. What you're presenting above is a complete and total lie and hopefully, you just swallowed someone else's load of crap and are not purposely spreading it yourself.
Come back when you've lived it. Then you will have something intelligent to say. Go pick some fruit for a while.

Going out and picking fruit has no impact on the economics of it. Try again.