Do the glue-up jitters ever go away?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 21:20:34 -0600, Gordon Shumway

I've been finishing (up to at least the first top coat) after rough cutting the wood, before finishing the edges or any dados.
On Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:04:02 PM UTC-6, Greg Guarino wrote:

Looks great, Greg!
On 11/6/2014 11:59 PM, Michael wrote:

Thanks. With any luck, I can soon say goodbye to the mitering anxiety and fret about finishing instead.
Greg Guarino wrote:

I think you are just suffering from "I've almost got this completed, and I don't want to screw it up! syndrome". I'm afraid the anxiety just goes along with giving a darn. You're doing nice work! If you pay attention you're not likely to screw anything up! ; )
Bill

On 11/7/2014 6:39 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Greg there will always be worry! ;~)
As you get better and build confidence, you,,,
1. Build bigger. 1.a. You worry about if it will fit.
2. Much bigger. 2.a. You worry about getting it down the hall, around the corner, and hair bin back into a bedroom.
3. Much much bigger. 3.a. You worry about the possibility of it not fitting in the bed of your truck and how many trips will it take.
3.b. You worry about finding some one to help you move the piece, and you hope he is stronger than you. ;~)
On Saturday, November 8, 2014 9:21:31 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:

4. But those worries go away, if, after all is said and done, you still have beer in the frig, at the end of the dayz. 4.a. Beers buildss confidense. 4.b. 16oz beerss biuilds biggier confidensces, than 12onz beres, semilularly as ugh casa beerz bluilds bigher conffidenece, than a 12 pack.
ynnoS

I had that problem once. Built two Eastern red cedar armoires, one for her walk in closet, one for mine. Not huge armoires, maybe 50" tall by 24" deep by 36" wide.
I planned carefully, made sure they would fit through the various doors. Mine did, hers didn't. It would have if it hadn't needed to turn around a partition opposite her closet. What to do, what to do...
What I did was saw it in half so I had a 12" front and a 12" back. Put them in the closet. glued them back together. You'd never know they had been cut in two.
When we sell this place someday I hope the new owner likes them, hers isn't coming out. Unless he saws it again :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 11/2/2014 12:03 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

The very act of the first tipping of the glue bottle, to release its contents on all that carefully prepped joinery, requires the same emotional preparation as going into battle.
Means all is as it should be...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 11/13/2014 7:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

Oh. :)
You know what we could use? A sound-activated adhesive. Apply it in as leisurely a fashion as you like, get everything lined up perfectly, then (after taking the dog around back) hit it with a 25kHz tone: "Presto": Cured joints.
I can dream, can't I?
On 11/13/2014 2:15 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Actually most Franklin/TiteBond glue will cure in the presence of ultrasonic frequencies. You just need the devise to emit the sound. But this speeds cure time not open time. ;~(
Now I cannot point you to where I have read this but I have read this on a few occasions.
On 11/13/2014 3:59 PM, Leon wrote:

Making a ultra-sonic is easy. Keeping it from frying the user is another story.
Martin
On 11/13/2014 3:15 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

That exists. There already glue that is frequency activated. Many of the large shops use it.
--
Jeff

On 11/13/2014 8:40 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Likely a filler is vibrating and heats up the glue. Or a large glue molecule / chain of them...