Do the glue-up jitters ever go away?

In may case, "Hell, I *have* done that". :)

But not so much lately. I think I discovered finishing the parts pre-assembly here on the wrec, looking at someone's project photos. Cool secret, that. I think I may even have *sanded* after assembly on my very earliest projects, years ago.

Funny thing: Now I look at furniture I like and wonder "*Could* I build that?". An further, I sometimes see attractive looking furniture

*designs*, but made poorly and think, "I could build something like that, but better".

Yes, the slippery slope has been reached. :)

I have in fact already attached eyescrews to some of the assemblies (the "ladders"), and hooks to the bottom of a ceiling-mounted wood storage rack.

The one time I made panel doors - and I don't (yet) do any spraying - I mounted hooks on the backs of the doors where the euro hinge holes would eventually be drilled. I'd apply finish to the backs first, avoiding the non-hinged edge. Then I flipped the doors over and the hooks kept the backs from touching the bench, except at that edge. I applied finish to the fronts, hung the doors up, and hit the non-hinged edges last.

Why, I even have a photo: :)

If

As I mentioned, no spraying for me, yet anyway.

It's a slow stride, but yes, I'm making progress. Thanks.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Looks great, Greg!

Reply to
Michael

Thanks. With any luck, I can soon say goodbye to the mitering anxiety and fret about finishing instead.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I think you are just suffering from "I've almost got this completed, and I don't want to screw it up! syndrome". I'm afraid the anxiety just goes along with giving a darn. You're doing nice work! If you pay attention you're not likely to screw anything up! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Greg there will always be worry! ;~)

As you get better and build confidence, you,,,

  1. Build bigger.
1.a. You worry about if it will fit.

  1. Much bigger.

2.a. You worry about getting it down the hall, around the corner, and hair bin back into a bedroom.

  1. Much much bigger.

3.a. You worry about the possibility of it not fitting in the bed of your truck and how many trips will it take.

3.b. You worry about finding some one to help you move the piece, and you hope he is stronger than you. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

  1. But those worries go away, if, after all is said and done, you still have beer in the frig, at the end of the dayz.
4.a. Beers buildss confidense. 4.b. 16oz beerss biuilds biggier confidensces, than 12onz beres, semilularly as ugh casa beerz bluilds bigher conffidenece, than a 12 pack.

ynnoS

Reply to
Sonny

I had that problem once. Built two Eastern red cedar armoires, one for her walk in closet, one for mine. Not huge armoires, maybe 50" tall by

24" deep by 36" wide.

I planned carefully, made sure they would fit through the various doors. Mine did, hers didn't. It would have if it hadn't needed to turn around a partition opposite her closet. What to do, what to do...

What I did was saw it in half so I had a 12" front and a 12" back. Put them in the closet. glued them back together. You'd never know they had been cut in two.

When we sell this place someday I hope the new owner likes them, hers isn't coming out. Unless he saws it again :)

Reply to
dadiOH

The very act of the first tipping of the glue bottle, to release its contents on all that carefully prepped joinery, requires the same emotional preparation as going into battle.

Means all is as it should be...

Reply to
Swingman

Oh. :)

You know what we could use? A sound-activated adhesive. Apply it in as leisurely a fashion as you like, get everything lined up perfectly, then (after taking the dog around back) hit it with a 25kHz tone: "Presto": Cured joints.

I can dream, can't I?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Actually most Franklin/TiteBond glue will cure in the presence of ultrasonic frequencies. You just need the devise to emit the sound. But this speeds cure time not open time. ;~(

Now I cannot point you to where I have read this but I have read this on a few occasions.

Reply to
Leon

That exists. There already glue that is frequency activated. Many of the large shops use it.

Reply to
woodchucker

Making a ultra-sonic is easy. Keeping it from frying the user is another story.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Likely a filler is vibrating and heats up the glue. Or a large glue molecule / chain of them...

Reply to
Martin Eastburn