Dimensions for dog-holes in workbench top

I am in the process of building a "real" maple workbench and am about ready to cut dog hole slots (for square dogs) in the stock that makes up the dog hole strip. I plan on making my own dogs but want to make the slots the proper size should I ever decide to purchase commercial dogs. I see that the Lee Valley dogs are 5/8" x 3/4", and that seems to be a common size for metal dogs.
So assuming I want to mill the holes the proper size to accommodate those dogs, what size should I actually mill the hole? How much extra space should I leave (how tight a fit?) The dogs have a side spring. Does that require extra side clearance? How big should the extra top "blip" be to accommodate the dog head?
I searched google and came up with countless discussions on the round vs square debate (and decided on square), but could not find the info I need.
Anybody have any thoughts?
Thanks, Mark
Take a look at the "Instr" link for the Dogs you are considering on the Lee Valley site, which I think may be:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page1131&category=1,41637,41645&ccurrency=1&SID It should provide the detail you need.
If not, call or email them and I am certain they will provide it to you.
Good Luck
says...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page1131&category=1,41637,41645&ccurrency=1&SID=
exactly the info I was looking for!
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:55:09 -0500, Hobbes

I wouldn't mill a hole, I'd mill a slot in the side of a board, before I attached it to the bench.
Kind of like a dado, leaving you with what looks like a thick dentil molding.
Barry
Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

the research on bench construction and own the Landis book. I just used some sloppy terminology for expedience. But thanks for the info nonetheless.
-Mark
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:55:09 -0500, Hobbes wrote:

Have you contacted Lee Valley for advice? They are quite good at customer care.