Dimensions for dog-holes in workbench top

I am in the process of building a "real" maple workbench and am about ready to cut dog hole slots (for square dogs) in the stock that makes up the dog hole strip. I plan on making my own dogs but want to make the slots the proper size should I ever decide to purchase commercial dogs. I see that the Lee Valley dogs are 5/8" x 3/4", and that seems to be a common size for metal dogs.

So assuming I want to mill the holes the proper size to accommodate those dogs, what size should I actually mill the hole? How much extra space should I leave (how tight a fit?) The dogs have a side spring. Does that require extra side clearance? How big should the extra top "blip" be to accommodate the dog head?

I searched google and came up with countless discussions on the round vs square debate (and decided on square), but could not find the info I need.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Hobbes

Take a look at the "Instr" link for the Dogs you are considering on the Lee Valley site, which I think may be:

should provide the detail you need.

If not, call or email them and I am certain they will provide it to you.

Good Luck

Reply to
PBS

Thanks a lot! I never noticed those "Instr" links before. That is exactly the info I was looking for!

Reply to
Mark Blum

I wouldn't mill a hole, I'd mill a slot in the side of a board, before I attached it to the bench.

Kind of like a dado, leaving you with what looks like a thick dentil molding.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Thanks Barry. Actually, that is the method I am using. I've done all the research on bench construction and own the Landis book. I just used some sloppy terminology for expedience. But thanks for the info nonetheless.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum

Have you contacted Lee Valley for advice? They are quite good at customer care.