how to fill shallow holes in workbench top

I put in a bench vise today and, as per advice from this group, used bolts, nuts and washers. I drilled a couple of flat-bottomed holes in the bench top, just deep enough to keep the bolt heads below the level of the bench surface.

Once I'm pretty sure I've got the vise the way I want it, I'd like to fill in the holes with...something. Something that would leave the surface flat afterward, maybe after sanding . Ideas? Wood putty? Epoxy? (I'm probably not brave enough for that one) Something else?

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Gosh, why do something that you may regret. How about wooden-disks made to match? "Spacer" underneath?

Reply to
Bill

If your bench is thick enough, drill the holes deeper so the bolt heads are ~3/8" below the surface. Then use wood plugs to fill the holes. Art

Reply to
Artemus

---------------------------------- Use hex head bolts and flat washers under head.

Pour fairing putty (epoxy thickened with mivro-balloons to a soupy consistancy) proud of bench top.

Allow to cure for 2-3 days then sand flush.

BTW, drill hole at least 1/2"-5/8" deep so that putty is at least

3/16" over bolt head.

I use the above for my jigs.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Bondo. Easy, cheap, readily available.

Reply to
dadiOH

I used epoxy and scraped flush.

Reply to
tommyboy

Bondo. Easy, cheap, readily available.

I second that. It is also removable if/when desired.

Reply to
CW

Yep, that's a good solution. I wonder what the solution would have been a century ago, though: maybe melted sulfur ?

Reply to
whit3rd