I pulled off the battery immediately, shook what water I could out of the thing and set it in the garage to dry out. Should take about a month with all the humidity/rain we've got in Louisville these days.
Anything I should do to before reattaching the battery to keep from frying the drill? I bought it (remanufactured) from HF 5 years ago and it's been really great. Makes me sick I doused it.
Hedley wrote:

#1 Don't underestimate. Read the can, it will tell you how long you need to wait for the glue to set up.
#2 Use a blow gun if you have a compressor. Your internals will most likely rust up if you don't. Not good!
#3 Go to an electronics store and get a spray water displacement product. WD-40 could work to displace the water but then you have to let that stuff dry too! And it will eventually.
And option #4 Keep wiping it with a towel shaking as much water out of it as you can! Then let it air dry for a while. Do you have a SWMBO with a hair dryer?
You might consider sloshing rubbing alcohol through the motor, it will absorb the water and make it dry faster (I do that with computer keyboards). Ray

it
When I get electronics wet I do what you've done so far and then leave it in a warm area like on top of my tv.
A friend of mine had a DEwalt cordless drill AND charger get submerged during a flood and after drying out they worked flawlessly.
Also a Dewalt rep told me that during the construcition of the set for the movie "Titanic" they used Dewalts UNDERWATER" to build the set. He said they had to coat them with something before every dive but that's still remarkable. Gene

it
Got impatient and tried it out to straighten some shelving verticals. (Of course part of me was hoping maybe to come out of this with a new cordless hammer drill to replace my tRusty Dewalt)
It works just fine. I will do the WD-40 thing just in case some pieces parts want to get a coat of rust on them.
Thank for the input.

long
with
the
with
frying
been
I used to have four family channel radios (1/2 mile variety). I took a header while trying to get into my boat, soaked my waders, including one of the four radios. Radio stopped working. Dried it out, worked fine for about a year, then died permanently. The other three still work fine.
Moral of the story, just because it works now doesn't mean it will in a year. I would still take the precautions noted.
Joe

the

it
WD-40 would help, with a good blowing out with compressed air. If it is any consolation I had a DeWalt drill that got wet several times, each time it just got shaken out and imediately put right back to work. Hazards of the job at hand got it summerged in water completely. It ran for a a few years untill the batteries gave up. Greg
Hey Hedley, Did you survive the storms ok ? Here in Hillveiw we got quite a bit of strong winds. Nothing like the east end though. Puff

It was pretty amazing. We had "tornadic" storm cells (not my word) passing E->W both north and south of our neighborhood. Funnel clouds just to the north and a genuine touchdown well to the south of us (Jeff Mall). Straight winds (if you've heard of them) up to 60 mph clocked about three miles from my house (Westport and 265). We stayed inside and watched DVD's until the worst of it passed, ready to hustle into the basement at the tell-tale sound of a freight train coming down the street.
I didn't have any damage, but my yard is gonna take weeks to dry out. Before yesterday, we had 11" of rain in the last month. Yesterday probably added another 2 or 3 inches.

it
Hillveiw where I reside is about 4 miles south of the J Mall in Bullitt county. Puff

Set the drill on a heat vent in your house for a week. It'll dry out just fine.

it

it
Just put the battery in and use it. I don't own a non-shop tool that hasn't been rained on repeatedly during use or fully immersed within the work truck.... let's not go into that though..