DeWalt cordless drill motor brushes

One of my DeWalt cordless drills, one that is by my side so much I should call it "Shop Dog", has begun making a strange ozone smell and has visible sparking from the motor armature.

ServiceNet shows motor brushes as available for the drill. They are not easily removed, so I haven't looked at them yet. I've never had to replace brushes in a power tool, so I'm not familiar with the symptoms bad brushes might display.

Before I tear down a working drill and order $20 worth of parts, does it sound like I need to replace the brushes?

Thanks!

**
**

B A R R Y

Yep...you have now observes the classic symptoms.

I'd recommend checking them asap if you like the drill to make sure they aren't so worn down that the holders are eating up the armature or new brushes won't last 'cause they'll get chewed up...

--

Reply to
dpb

If you haven't already, consider looking on eBay for a drill body (tool only). Many of them will only cost about $40 (US) new.

Good luck.

Reply to
John Doe

B A R R Y wrote: > One of my DeWalt cordless drills, one that is by my side so much I > should call it "Shop Dog", has begun making a strange ozone smell and > has visible sparking from the motor armature. >

YES and NO.

Yes, you need replacement brushes.

No, I wouldn't do it my self, take it to a service center.

Replacing brushes on small hand tools can be a real PITA.

DAMHIKT

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks!

Will do. I really like this drill It's a 14.4v, with plenty of power, not too heavy, great balance, the buttons are where I would have put them... overall a favorite. I'd really miss it if it were gone.

**
**

B A R R Y

I took a look, removing 1/2 of the body shell, and you're absolutely right. While I was there, I noticed the commutator is pretty shot.

An eBay body might be the economical way to go.

She's been a good companion...

**
**

B A R R Y

Which 14.4V DeWalt are you looking for? I've got a DeWalt DW996 14.4 drill motor and charger with two dead batteries.

Reply to
Nova

It's a DW928.

**