Marine ply - source and price in Sydney, Australia?

Hi folks, this is my first post to this esteemed group. I'm hoping that there's a few Australian participants besides myself who might be able to cast some light on this enquiry...

I've recently stumbled across a couple of web sites with designs for tiny one-sheet or one-and-a-half-sheet boats, and I thought I might have a go at making one. There are a couple of gaps in my knowledge though:

First, can someone suggest what I might expect to pay for an appropriate sheet of circa 2440mm x 1220mm plywood in Sydney Australia, along with suggestions as to a source. I looked yesterday at my local 'Bunnings' (not really expecting to find anything appropriate) and found that I could have any sort of ply I wanted, so long as I wanted 600mm x 1200mm sheets :-/ Locations from the city to the north-east are most accessible to me. (Some indicative pricings from other parts of the planet would be equally welcome)

Second, is there some sort of finish that I might apply to a plywood boat that would provide the necessary waterproofing whilst at the same time being clear, so the grain of the wood remains visible?

Third, what type of plywood should I be looking for? Am I correct in assuming that I must use 'marine ply' for this light-use application in a small one-person boat, or are there alternatives that I should consider? Price is more of a consideration than durability, since my interest is more in the building than the using!

Thanks in advance,

GB

Reply to
GB

Sun, Jul 15, 2007, 11:28am (EDT+14) snipped-for-privacy@kickindanuts.threefiddy.com (GB) doth query: I've recently stumbled across a couple of web sites with designs for tiny one-sheet or one-and-a-half-sheet boats, is there some sort of finish that I might apply to a plywood boat that would provide the necessary waterproofing whilst at the same time being clear,

Am I correct in assuming that I must use 'marine ply' for this light-use application in a small one-person boat, or are there alternatives that I should consider? Price is more of a consideration than durability, since my interest is more in the building than the using!

If I was gonna make one of those. I'd probably just use luan ply. If I wanted to go high class I'd opt for exterior ply, no marine ply - too expensive. After all, it isn't gonna live in the water, right?. For finish I'd probably just paint it, but I'd also probably use fibreglass and epoxy on the joints first. For clear, I'd just use fibreglass and epoxy. Or maybe just varnish the crap out of it. Those are my choices, you'll have to decide on your own. I wouldn't use one inything but calm, sheltered, water either.

J T