Design Software

A couple of people mentioned SketchUp. SketchUp is great for the design and concept phase, but it can create dimensioned drawings also Here's a few examples of what you can do:

Jim

I, too started with mechanical drawing waaaay back in '63. Started getting paid as a draftsman in '69 and worked on drawing boards until '91. When I first switched to CAD (MicroStation), I would sketch out my work, then transfer it to the computer.

It wasn't long before I became comfortable with CAD and it soon became quicker to create an accurate sketch in cad than an inaccurate one by hand. Once you become familiar with the tools, many tasks are MUCH quicker in cad.

My $.02 worth Bill

Reply to
remove

There is the key. Everyone has been drawing in one form or another since they were little kids. Doing it in cad takes learning to do it completely different than relying on those motor skills that are so easily taken for granted. No one remembers what a time they had developing those motors skills in the first place. The breakover point with cad is when you feel as comfortable drawing on the computer as you do with a pencil. It takes many hours before that point is reached. Once reached however, the benefits of cad quickly become apparent. Is it worth the time and monetary investment for the average woodworker? Probably not. Those of us that use cad often forget about the time and effort we have put into it. It may have been fun for us. It may have been a professional requirement. It's neither for most. I do believe though that most woodworkers would benefit by a drafting class of some kind whether they continue using the tools (most often cad these days) used in that class or not. The basics of laying out and detailing a drawing go a very long way to making any drawing, be it cad, drafting board or hand sketch, far more useful to the designer.

"carver (remove)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
CW

CW wrote: > Is it worth the time and monetary investment > for the average woodworker? Probably not. Those of us that use cad often > forget about the time and effort we have put into it.

Without question, CAD is the only way to go, as long as you make the database investment which is no problem for a manufacturer with anything approaching a standard product line.

To design and document a one off, CAD becomes another question, IMHO.

I make literally hundreds of free hand sketches for all kind of projects, but it is something with which I'm very comfortable.

I put myself thru school slinging lead on a drafting table.

At that point in time, CAD wasn't even a wet dream.

Could I compete with todays CAD jockeys in an industrial environment?

No way, but then again, I don't have to any more.

I got out of the drafting room a long time ago, but still find the skills useful.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good question.

If I may ask, what made you ask that question?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett