Delta spindle sander

Any of you guys own or have any experience with the Delta 31-780 BOSS Bench Oscillating Spindle Sander? Guy's asking $125 for what he describes as a "gently used" machine. I'm going to check it out tomorrow, but I'd like the benefit of folks who have had hands on with in.

TIA

Larry

Reply to
TD Driver

I've owned one for about five or six years now. I consider it one of my best tool purchases. Not much to it: it just sits there quietly doing its job. And I mean *quiet*. There's no need at all for ear protection (and I'm a fanatic about ear protection). Drums and sleeves are quick and easy to change. The only warning I have for you is to at least loosen the bolt that holds the drum down when you're done; otherwise, if you leave the drum compressed, it can take a "set" and you'll have a hard time removing the sleeve. (The one time I made this mistake, I caught it fairly quickly -- a day or two -- and the drum did eventually return to its original shape. But if you leave a drum compressed for a week, you may wind up needing a new drum.)

Reply to
Doug Miller

My experience exactly.

Max

Reply to
Max

Good tool ... got one years ago as a B'day present from SWMBO. I use it for all curved parts.

Reply to
Swingman

I've had one for four or five years, used for sanding curves in "cloud lifts" router patterns and even some shaping of the legs for bonsai tables and the like. Have a 12" disk sander for flat stuff but about a year ago got the Rigid oscillating belt sander/spindle sander. It's become the go to tool for sanding flat edges and curves - though it is definitely LOUDER than either the Delta drum or oscillating spindle sander - and it has a tilting table, something the BOSS lacks.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Hey Larry, I bought mine used for the same price as the one you are looking at and after using it for hundreds of times I felt like I stole it. Occasionally I'd like to be able to tilt the table but those instances are minimal and witht the table being round it makes it easier to angle a large workpiece on the circuference to sand an angled edge. Very nice dust extraction and quiet too. Most other brand sanding tubes fit the drums. Some of the JEt tubes are much longer but you get the option of flipping them over when worn. Marc

Reply to
marc rosen