Delta dust collector

I'm thinking about buying a Delta dust collector model 50-760 ( http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e 6&pX15 ) and wanted some advice about it or others. Is it a good one for the money ( $159 plus a $30 rebate ) ?
Seems like a good price for the CFM's. Yes. Tom
I have their model 50-665 & have been very happy with it.
http://media.ptg-online.com/media/dm/OwnersManuals/20050225073439_En1342493-08-08-99.pdf
JJS
Jimmy wrote:

It is $159 less a $30 rebate?! Where? I would like to get me one of those.
Do you know how many amps the motor is? I looked through the manual, but it doesn't say anything. It looks too small for a real 1.5hp.

and looked it was a AP400, but it had a 1.5hp motor on it. Has a 4" hose and 30 micron bags. Sorry about that.

Toller Wrote:

1-hp being about 746-watts, a 1.5-hp motor will suck up roughly 9-amps at 120-vac, give or take depending on the efficiency factor, etc.
--
joe2

Freight products. The must be very efficient.
I just bought a used Delta shaper with a 1hp 14.4a motor. It must be really inefficient. Whacha think?
Toller said:

Or terribly overrated...

I think no one is watching these things anymore... And they come up all kinds of BS ratings - don't even get me started on Air Compressors - stall current = HP? Get real. Same with routers, Garage door openers, etc., etc...
In your case, I think you had better keep your fingers away from that shaper spindle/bit. I'd be willing to bet it produces that or more...
Greg G.
Jimmy said:

I'd say that is a pretty good deal. I have _almost_ the same model. It's older. Made in Taiwan, cast impeller. Works fine as long as your 're not trying to draw from 2 large machines at once. the motor on mine is a well made unit - also from Taiwan.
I built a pre-collector for it, 'cause I got sick of cleaning bags. A jointer will fill it up pretty quickly. I have no complaints and it was a bargain.
Greg G.

I don't have this dust collector, but I have a similar one (50-850). Basically, I find it to do its job well. I have 5 machines and an utility port connected to it in a dust collection system:
- 3 hp table saw - 8" jointer - 13" planer - 3 hp shaper - 12" chop saw - 10" radial arm saw - 3" utility port
Each port has a blast gate. Depending on the tool(s) being used, only 1-2 can be kept open at a time. On stock milling days -- which requires heavy use of the jointer and planer -- I usually open just one gate at a time to prevent clogging (which does happen from time to time). But I have gotten away with keeping either the jointer or the planer at full and the table saw half open. Keeping two "large tool" gates open simultaneously just isn't worth the trouble clearing chip jams.
The collector itself seems to have plenty of suction for a small shop, which I think was its intended design. However, milling stock quickly fills up the bag with chips and I find it needs to be emptied sometimes 2-3 times a day on stock prep days. As you might imagine, the jointer and planer are the biggest culprits, followed by the shaper then table saw.
You could use it without hearing protection, but I find it less annoying to wear ear muffs during prolonged use. When prepping stock, I always wear muffs because the combination of jointer, planer and dust collector is enough to drive me batty. For short stints, however, it's not that loud (you can talk over it without screaming).
If you have a small shop, I would recommend this size collector. I can't compare mine to others or comment on the specific collector you asked about, but I personally thought the prices for them are good. I got mine from Amazon for about $245.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more specific questions.
-m

I bought the same collector (50-850), and put in a chip collector/trash can. I've emptied the lower bag once so far this year, but it didn't really need it then. The chip collector gets emptied once a week or so.
The AP400 is a decent buy as well. Hard to go wrong with most of these products. Particularly if you upgrade the bag to something closer to 1-2 microns.
Patriarch
I have a kill-a-watt meter, and yesterday with a 2hp grizzly motor on a table saw at full idle it pulls 11.4amps. Just before stall, say when a board is pinching the blade on a 45 degree bevel cut, it pulls almost 19 amps.
The HF dust collector I own pulls about 9 amps at idle, and I've gotten it to about 11.5 playing with long hoses and blast gates. I don't feel the impellar to be large enough on this machine to really cause the motor to pull more amps.
Alan

I have the AP400 with a Penn State submicron bag. I have a 10' length of flex hose on the AP400, which is long enough to reach any individual wheeled tool in my small third bay garage shop. It has collected enough dust that my garage would be waist-deep now without it.
The only thing about the AP400 is that it has this little wire cross grid on the inlet -- presumably to keep you from putting your hand up in the impeller, I suppose. But that cross grid forms enough of an obstruction that it will cause the inlet to plug with bigger handplane shavings, a bit of a PIB. I fixed that problem in a way that would not be recommended by the company's lawyers (i.e., I used a pair of wire cutters)