Delta 50-850 Dust Collector

All I have ever used is a shop vac (12 gallon, 4.5 amp, 1 hp peak). I just got the Delta 50-850 dust collector, put it together, attached 4 ft of 4" hose and a short section of 2 1/2 hose with an adaptor to go from the 4" to 2 1/2. The shop vac has noticeably more suction. Please don't laugh if I have made a ridiculous statement, I am totally new to this. Need some help here, advice etc to determine if the new machine is working properly. Another thing I have noticed is that the filter bag never fully inflates, unless there is no hose attached to the inlets and they are both open (with no covers on them). I guess I was expecting something different....

Thanks In Advance,

David

Reply to
David

That's because you 2 1/2" hose is choking the DC. Try running 4" all the way to the tool. The DC works on volume, the vac works on velocity.

With tools that require a 2 1/2" or smaller hose, you're probably better off using the vac. Also, you can put a high quality HEPA filter or drywall bag in most vacuums, making them better for sanders and other tools that generate fine dust.

Save the DC for bigger tools that make bigger chips.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Sounds like the motor is not getting fully up to speed. I had that problem with a 2hp ShopFox dust collector about 2 years ago...they sent me a new motor and now it fires up REAL quick and draws hard enough that it catches about 75% of the chips/dust off a contractors TS that just has a flange fitting under the frame...all while still pulling all the chips from the planer that's going at the same time. All this is thru 4" heating pipe and flex hose and a cyclone separator.

Check out the motor soon!

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

this doesn't sound right. I'd call delta tech support and see what they have to say about it.

Reply to
Bridger

Reply to
JGS

You are choking the machine to death. It was designed to move "large" volumes of dust/chips. It is "NOT" a vacum cleaner.

Hook it up to a 15" planer or a table saw with 4" hose and you will see what it's capable of doing.

My filter bag is tight as a drum when the machine has a single hose attached to my DC-380 planer. I have never tried to use both outlets at one time.

This DC has rated well in every single test of DC's I have seen.

You didn't mention what you were hooking up to ????

David wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber