Defective Freud Router Bit?

Page 1 of 3
I had several dated bits that were in need of upgrading. Never having used Freud, I purchased a few.
I always inspect a new bit before use and I noticed a potential problem with one of them - an ogee bit. On the interior or center of the cardide cutter, each cutter has a weld only at the top and bottom - the center portion is void of a weld. If only one cutter had this type of weld, I would think it was a defect. However, because each cutter has the same type of weld, which by the way is symmetric and neatly done, it looks to be intentional.
Is there a reason for this type of weld or do I just have a defective bit?
Thanks, Dave
Don't know, but I'd go compare the brazing on your bit with the others of its type by taking it back. If the others are fully brazed, as are all I've seen, give it back.
Come to think, with the brittleness of carbide, I'd give back anything that wasn't fully and firmly supported.

I'd bet if you gave the fine folks at Freud a call or email, they could tell you real quick. IF it is a defect, they probably would exchange it for you promptly. Freud has a reputation for both great products and excellent customer service. I would give them a shot at it before posting to a forum.
DexAZ

Freud stuff is pretty much ok, Dave. I'd do as Dex suggested and just give them a polite call Monday morning.
dave
Dave wrote:

Just thought I'd let the group know that I spoke with Freud today.
The technical rep said that the gaps in the weld along the center of the carbide cutter are NORMAL and part of Freud's new design that they're phasing in on several different bits. He said the idea behind the gaps is to provide additional air movement and hence heat dissipation at the center of the bit. Not all of Freud's bits have this design yet but eventually they will.
Dave

cool, thanks for getting back to us on the weld thing, Dave. I'm never shy about calling a manufacturer for clarifications on products I buy or are contemplating purchasing. Good to know the weld style is by design.
dave
Dave wrote:

Did they address the brittleness of unsupported carbide?
Hate to be their Beta tester and eat a chunk of carbide after impacting a knot.

No kidding... The idea makes since but it seems that the carbide should be fully supported. Seems an air gap would simply fill with debris.
wouldn't 10-20,000 RPM loosen debris?
dave
Leon wrote:

Nuuuoooooo.....not necessarily. Debris does not have to be loose wood shavings, it can also be that stuff that always builds up on your bits. Sap for instance.
ah, like what I just cleaned off my WWII the other day. now it's all pretty and shiny again!
dave
Leon wrote:

Here is a funny situation.. I was cleaning my WWII Saturday after cutting up a LOT of Ipe. Ipe is a VERY hard wood and besides the brown saw dust, you also get a bright Yellowy Green "Powdery Dust".
Any way that yellow dust reacts with body sweat and citrus based cleaners. I use CMT's Formula 2050 to clean my bits and blades. When your sweat or the citrus based cleaner touches the yellow dust it instantly turns "BLOOD RED". Needless to say the first few times I worked with Ipe I thought that I had severely cut myself.
Didn't know that! All I've heard about Ipe is that it's one tough hombre. (and expensive)
dave
Leon wrote:

Not too expensive but that all depends on where you live. I am buying it for about $6.50 per BF.
I pay too much for all hardwoods here. the cheapest, poplar, is around $2 bucks a board foot. It's disgusting how expensive stuff is in the Bay Area. If I didn't have a house with Prop. 13 tax coverage I'd have left the area.
dave