DC - HF w/ modification or Delta at Lowe's?

Hi Gents-

Just got giftcard for bday - $100 at Lowe's. Was planning on getting the HF DC on sale for around $130 and modifying to accept cartridge filter. Other option is to use card at Lowe's for Delta DC and pay the difference - likely same amount of money as first option. Last option is to stick with HF, and use card for other toys.

What is the vote?

Reply to
Chris Carruth

I don't have any HF tools. Frankly, I don't want any. I'd go with Delta.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Don't knock what you don't have. I have a few, mainly air tools but they have been great! I wouldn't buy an electrical item from them. I have noticed that the wrenches they sell either flex really bad or are not cast well. Would I buy things from HF, well it all depends. We all have our tools that we love and love to hate. I love my Crapsmans not one have let me down, YET???

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Chris Carruth wrote: >

Bad Plan.

Better Plan.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hi Chris,

I have the HF DC with the Wynn Environmental cartridge filter and it works very well. I got the combination for well under $300. I don't remember the exact amount but you can't get any other brand of DC with comparable performance for anywhere near that price.

The people who criticize the HF DC are just ignorant. You certainly can buy a better DC but not without spending much more money. In my opinion, unless you jump up to a much more powerful DC, (220v) you're just spending more money for a name, not for significantly better performance.

Bruce

Chris Carruth wrote:

Reply to
theblacksheep

Be careful! Not all DC will work with a cartridge filter. Some will suck up the bottom plastic bag. I found this out on my Jet DC.

Reply to
Bigpole

I have the HF with the Wynn filter. It does work great. Over time you need to knock the dust out of the filter itself, you can tell the difference in suction.

IF the delta has a larger impellar, I would go that route. The harbor freight impellar is measured at about 10" here:

arw01

  1. I'd be very leary of buying a dust collector and "modifying" it.. Is it really worth the time/effort/chance of failure vs buying one designed with the feature you want?
  2. To me, it would be a no brainer to buy the Delta, particularly if you had a 100 gift card. Why risk getting a HF that might need replaced down the road? My Delta DC is about 10 years old, still runs well, but if something breaks, I can get parts. In 6 months, HF might find a cheaper vendor and not even carry the model you're considering buying now.

It looks like you are out of pocket the same amount, thanks to the gift card.. to me, it's a no brainer to get the Delta vs the unknown.

Reply to
bf

Don't mean to change the intend of this thread, but you cannot count on Delta having parts for what they sell. I bought their 12" Sidekick Miter saw about 5 years ago, recently broke the fence on it and tried to replace it. They no longer stock the part. Since then I will not buy Delta tools. Fred

Reply to
Fred Toewe