Cutting Board

Page 1 of 2
I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple cutting board with?
Thanks,
Lars

mineral oil walnut oil salad bowl finish
Nothing

The last time I made a cutting board was in shop class and the preferred finish was peanut oil.
IIRC other vegetable oils would go rancid and mineral oil could impart a yucky taste.
I recall sanding, wetting, sanding, wetting, sanding, and then oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub, etc until you got a nice finish and the rag was clean.
--

Roger Shoaf

I have one I made over a year ago and it is used daily. I don't do anything special. I wash it with dish water and spray it with bleach ... all the stuff they say not to do. It looks great. I know if I stop using it for a while I should soak it with mineral oil (to stop it from drying out and splitting) but that isn't likely. My maple counter tops have poly on them. They are counters, not cutting boards

Peanut oil was allowed in a school? No rules about peanut related products? Aside from the fact that the stuff is absolutely lethal to a human with a peanut allergy, the finish does look great.
That's because nobody knew how dangerous it was back then. I'm 67 and when I read all the cautions today I wonder how the hell I survived!!! I ( used to) smoke, drink, take aspirin, use a straight razor, and all numbers of things that are either warned against or legislated against today.
Times sure have changed and not necessarily for the better in some cases

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks with peanut alleries at risk.
Then we can ban CARS, GUNS, KNIVES, BASEBALL BATS, and everything else that is potentially lethal to even a few folks
Lets also ban the production of LATEX products as every years there are a few folks who die from latex alleries.
John

I don't know about 'banning' those products, but I do see warning labels all over the place... MAY contain peanuts, or nut products. I am already told NOT to use my sanders in the rain, NOT to use my toaster oven in the bath tub. Soon, on a baseball bat, a sticker will appear: DO NOT use this to smack somebody on the head... in 3 languages... something like.. Ne Smaquez Vous Pas Le Bat Sur Le Fucquing Head...
DO NOT RIDE THE OSSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER!!!!
hehehehe..just had a visual here...

I see a whole new news group here: alt.sex.binaries.shoptools
--RC
Well, might be interested in this, if you're interested in fact versus hype.
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/factsheets/food.htm
"Nut allergies," and peanuts are not nuts, BTW, are _not_ to the extracted oils, but to the proteins. As long as you don't buy the cold pressed oil at your health food shop, but a solvent-extracted oil, should be no problem.
Oh yes, they're not at all common, either.
http://www.asthmacasestudies.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/foodallergy.stm
In school they reduced the 2% of food-allergic adults, 8% of children to < .1% of people likely to have an anaphylactic reaction. The figures above are from people who make their money by administering allergy tests and medications, so they _might_ be a touch high.
Sounds about equal to the number of "nuts" who tried to use their rotary lawnmowers as hedge trimmers....

Warning label on a can of jerked peanuts (SERIOUSLY Yummy . .)
"Warning. This product many have been produced in a factory or on equipment used to process peanuts or other tree nuts. May contain peanuts."
Lars, Get some bees wax and canola oil,combine the two so that when it is cool it will be a soft solid similar to soft playdough. Apply this very very warm to your cutting board,let soak for 3 hours or so (longer would be fine also)than wipe/buff off. I have been using this combo for many years now and my customers love it.It last for 2 years and more as long as it is wiped off with a clean damp cloth when finished using.
This old tale about not using anything other than mineral oil as all the other oils go rancid is BS. Unless you have such a large amount of oil that is pooling on your cutting board (does anyone really go and apply large amounts of veggie oil so it pools and puts it away with all this excess oil on it?) when you put it away in a wartm humid place there is no way veggie oil is going to go rancid.
Regarding bleaching the cutting board to clean it why bother as a study was done comparing wood cutting boards vs plastic cutting boards at the Univ.of Wisconsin (I think it was there) food tech dept. that found wood cutting boards were safer as when wiped clean bacteria died in the wood while bacteria grew on the plastic cutting boards. Merry Christmas Jerome

You must be single ;-)
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:45:46 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"

Peanut or soya-bean oils will not go rancid, others do. I use soya-bean, it's cheaper
Barry Lennox
Mineral oil. JG
Highspeed wrote:

the Butch block oil they sell at woodcraft and Rockler is just mineral oil at 6x the cost, I found a cutting board finish at one of the local cooking stores that was mineral oil and bees wax that seems to work well
Highspeed wrote:

Maple syrup SH

MMMMMMMMMMMMMaple Syrup is 'o' so tasty!! Thanks for the input, mineral oil it is.
Lars