Cutting Board

I know this has been asked a number times but what do you finish a maple cutting board with?

Thanks,

Lars

Reply to
Highspeed

mineral oil walnut oil salad bowl finish

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Nothing

Reply to
max

The last time I made a cutting board was in shop class and the preferred finish was peanut oil.

IIRC other vegetable oils would go rancid and mineral oil could impart a yucky taste.

I recall sanding, wetting, sanding, wetting, sanding, and then oil, rub, oil, rub, oil, rub, etc until you got a nice finish and the rag was clean.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I have one I made over a year ago and it is used daily. I don't do anything special. I wash it with dish water and spray it with bleach ... all the stuff they say not to do. It looks great. I know if I stop using it for a while I should soak it with mineral oil (to stop it from drying out and splitting) but that isn't likely. My maple counter tops have poly on them. They are counters, not cutting boards

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
JGS

Reply to
Richard Clements

Maple syrup SH

Reply to
Slowhand

MMMMMMMMMMMMMaple Syrup is 'o' so tasty!! Thanks for the input, mineral oil it is.

Lars

"Slowhand"

Reply to
Highspeed

Peanut oil was allowed in a school? No rules about peanut related products? Aside from the fact that the stuff is absolutely lethal to a human with a peanut allergy, the finish does look great.

sandman

Reply to
Phisherman

That's because nobody knew how dangerous it was back then. I'm 67 and when I read all the cautions today I wonder how the hell I survived!!! I ( used to) smoke, drink, take aspirin, use a straight razor, and all numbers of things that are either warned against or legislated against today.

Times sure have changed and not necessarily for the better in some cases

Reply to
Vic Baron

Sorry. I just couldn't help it SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I'm surprised that someone hasn't approached the CPSC about banning peanut oil, and ALL peanut products, as it is putting all those folks with peanut alleries at risk.

Then we can ban CARS, GUNS, KNIVES, BASEBALL BATS, and everything else that is potentially lethal to even a few folks

Lets also ban the production of LATEX products as every years there are a few folks who die from latex alleries.

John

Reply to
John

The blood of newbies, as an offering to the Evil Gods of Google, that they might restore the old interface unto us, and possibly send us a bountiful Spring if they're feeling generous.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I reserve the right to quote this as heavily as I see fit. }:O)

Reply to
DC

I don't know about 'banning' those products, but I do see warning labels all over the place... MAY contain peanuts, or nut products. I am already told NOT to use my sanders in the rain, NOT to use my toaster oven in the bath tub. Soon, on a baseball bat, a sticker will appear: DO NOT use this to smack somebody on the head... in 3 languages... something like.. Ne Smaquez Vous Pas Le Bat Sur Le Fucquing Head...

DO NOT RIDE THE OSSCILLATING SPINDLE SANDER!!!!

hehehehe..just had a visual here...

Reply to
sandman

I see a whole new news group here: alt.sex.binaries.shoptools

--RC

rcook5

Well, might be interested in this, if you're interested in fact versus hype.

"Nut allergies," and peanuts are not nuts, BTW, are _not_ to the extracted oils, but to the proteins. As long as you don't buy the cold pressed oil at your health food shop, but a solvent-extracted oil, should be no problem.

Oh yes, they're not at all common, either.

school they reduced the 2% of food-allergic adults, 8% of children to < .1% of people likely to have an anaphylactic reaction. The figures above are from people who make their money by administering allergy tests and medications, so they _might_ be a touch high.

Sounds about equal to the number of "nuts" who tried to use their rotary lawnmowers as hedge trimmers....

Reply to
George

Warning label on a can of jerked peanuts (SERIOUSLY Yummy . .)

"Warning. This product many have been produced in a factory or on equipment used to process peanuts or other tree nuts. May contain peanuts."

Reply to
U-CDK_CHARLES\Charles