Keeping Dust out of the Shop TV

How do I keep dust out of a TV and DVD I plan to install in my shop? I'm sure someone has been there before...

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Either a complete dust managment system, or put the electronic components in a cabinet. The DVD will eventually suffer regardless.

Reply to
TaskMule

Just a thought:

Drinking.........................Driving Television.......................Woodshop Power Tools

Reply to
RonB

Well how are you supposed to watch the new yankee workshop videos and mimick norm's every move?

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Good point. I guess it has its place in the woodshop just like a fridge full of beer.

Sorry.

Reply to
RonB

Man, I agree. A TV in the shop would be a major distraction and that could be a safety hazard.

Reply to
Jim Giblin

Depends on what you're doing:

TV & Tablesaw... No way.

TV & Organizing boxes and boxes of fasteners... Absolutely.

or:

TV & Building RC aircraft... No problem.

TV & Bandsaw... Big problem.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

At the price of TVs these days...... You can buy a decent 19 inch for $100 and throw it away after 3-4 years. DVDs are cheap too but I agree with previous poster they probably are a lot more sensitive..... but for $49 who cares. Also, run yourself a small rotating fan next to TV to blow dust away. Think of all the radios that are playing in the shops for years and years and nobody thinks anything about them.

Reply to
buck

Reply to
Mike

You could take the approach used in dealing with electrical and electronic gear in a hazardous environment. Put it in a sealed enclosure with a positive air pressure on it from your air compressor. You'd need to feed it with a pressure regulator and use a low pressure setting (maybe 5 psi). You'd also need to have some venting for heat and air flow to let the regulator do its job.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

The perfect shop has:

  • fridge full of beer
  • TV/DVD player
  • nekkit wimminz handing you wood and jiggling their jigglies at you
  • a good first-aid kit
  • a telephone with 911 on the speed dial
Reply to
Silvan

asking Santa)

Reply to
John

Mike responds:

Good idea, except for possible heat problems. I just slip a garbage bag over the TV when it's not in use,which is probably 99.99% of the time. With no antenna, it's useful for tapes and that's all.

Just replaced the old stereo with a new CD player/radio. It will last 4-5 years, by which time the price will have dropped from the $28.72 I paid down to $18.72.

Charlie Self "It is when power is wedded to chronic fear that it becomes formidable." Eric Hoffer

Reply to
Charlie Self

Don't worry about it. When the screen gets too dusty, just blow the whole thing out with some compressed air.

Reply to
larrybud2002

You forgot the 21st century, techno savvy, cutting edge, woodshop audio tool: an iPod.

Dustproof, and with 10,000 tunes at your fingertips (mine only has 6,378 at the moment, but I'm struggling along).

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
diyguy

Never done it, but I have an Idea... Get a pleated air conditioner filter, the kind without the wires. Wrap it around the sucker. Apply duct tape. Or did you want it to look pretty?

Reply to
junk

Jeez Silvan. What's with you and all this technical talk lately?

j4

Reply to
jo4hn

For radio and CDs, I bought a "water resistant" smallish set. Worked well for nigh onto two years now. I do vacuum out the CD enclosure on occasion. For TV etc., I would bet that outdoor "moisture resistant" sets exist. Think beach, that land of sand, sunburn and seagull shit. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I have a small TV and DVD player in my shop and dont really do anything other than blowing them off once in a while. Haven't had any problems so far.

Lance

Reply to
Lance Spaulding