Keeping Dust out of the Shop TV

I have a large TV and nice stereo in the garage... got really tired of cleaning the tv screen with anti-static stuff all the time, so I put 1

2x2' frame above them and used "visqueen" (sp) to cover the top and sides of the "box".. I flip up the plastic when we're watching tv, but the stereo works fine through 5 mil plastic, as does the remote..
Reply to
mac davis

mine's mostly for neighbors that drop by.. it's set up so the best view of the screen is from the driveway.. I usually have it on, bar style, (muted) when football games are on, so I can glance up and see the score or something..

Reply to
mac davis

Call me a nervous nelly but I would *never* run a TV in a wood shop.

The high voltage in a TV will be a magnet for every dust particle, whether the TV is running or not. Dust will build up and eventually the high voltage will break down and the arc could cause a very nasty fire. As you can see, other posters have done it, but I wouldn't risk it.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

"TWS" wrote

Over twentyyears ago I attended an electronics school that taught among other things, television repair. We heard every kind of horror story associated with TV's. And these from the folks who worked on them. Fires, electrocutions and general stupidity happens all the time with these thngs. As my instructor pointed out, any movement towards lower voltage devices saves lives.

Among the stories;

A customer brings in a TV that is a charred mess inside. They ask what happens. Customer says that it was dusty inside. So he brings it out to the back yard and cleans it out with a water hose. Plugs it in and explodes. He is lucky that a house fire or worse did not happen.

Very common, folks unplug TV and touch picture tube in back. This discharges a very large electrical charge and kills them.

Dust is a TV killer. A lot of TV's have been sent to an early grave from smokers.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I remember once when I was doing some dusting. Turned off the TV, sprayed the Windex on the front TV screen and then went at it with a paper towel. Zaaaaap! A bolt of static electricity made me jump three feet in air. Might have been worse if I wasn't insulated from the floor by my rubber wheelchair tires. Only time I dust the TV now is if it's been off for a number of hours and even then I approach the thing like I'm sneaking up on a sleeping tiger.

Reply to
Upscale

I've got a TV in the shop and it's run fine for several years. Also a CD changer.

David

TWS wrote:

Reply to
David

Mon, Dec 20, 2004, 10:12pm snipped-for-privacy@thistime.net (TaskMule) "Kyle Boatright" says: Either a complete dust managment system, or put the electronic components in a cabinet. The DVD will eventually suffer regardless.

That's option one. Option two is, don't put them in the shop in the first place.

I'd go with option two. My shop is for relaxing. I've got a cheap radio in there, and it plays (on low) constantly.

Sit, sniff sawdust, and listen to some decent music, that beats the Hell out of a TV in the shop, any time.

JOAT Sanity is vastly over-rated.

Reply to
J T

Well, that's hard to do. I keep the TV, tape player, computer, etc out of the shop environment with the exception of a small radio. You can cover these items when not in use. Proper use of a DC and shop air filter will help keep the dust to a minimum. A couple times a year use the upholstery attachment on the vacuum.

Reply to
Phisherman

Tue, Dec 21, 2004, 6:05am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (diyguy) says: Personally, I find myself entering the "stooopid zone" after just one beer and more than that is almost scary.

It's been many, many years since I've drank even a regular beer, and even quite a few since I've drank any "non-alcoholic" beer. But, even then, I could feel a buzz after just one NA beer, and after two could barely get off the sofa. I do miss the taste at times, but I don't miss the feeling, so I'll pass on any of it, anymore.

This from a guy who occassionally went thru a case at one sitting, and walked away. But, it's better this way.

JOAT Sanity is vastly over-rated.

Reply to
J T

I have XM in my shop.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

SIT? You have room to SIT in your shop? I'm jealous! If I put something to sit on out there, I'd have to get rid of a machine or two.

Reply to
Silvan

Oh c'mon man, cut the jokester some slack already.

Really stupid idea.

Really stupid idea.

Would be nice, very nice, but distracting. Hence, a really stupid idea.

Necessary for the stupid person who has the above three items in the shop.

I was being silly. I think about everyone got it.

I do keep a supply of beer bottles in the shop. They go in empty, and leave full. :)

Reply to
Silvan

... snip

That was *way* too much information. ;-)

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

No TV troubles, in a VERY dusty shop. In fact, my TV is next to the sander right now. Going on 4 years on this set, the last set worked fine for 4 or 5 years, I just moved it to the bedroom for spousal reasons. It still works in there.

Safety wise- I ignore it, mostly, I have the re-run network on, or maybe comedy Central, I just ignore 99 percent of it. It is just noise, maybe I get the occasional chuckle from dialog. Seldom look at it, now that I think of it. Unless something good pops on, than I turn off the tools, turn around, pull up a shop stool and watch it.

The other night, wife was watching something truly terrible, well to me anyway. I'd had a beer already, but I opened another, took it to the shop. Parked a favorite camping chair in a good spot, drank my beer, watched TV, gave serious thought to cleaning up a bit. Decided not to clean up at all.

CD player has given me a bit of trouble, so I moved it out. Last year, I ran lines out from the computer in the dining room, thru the wall, to the stereo in the shop. I saved the CD player that had been in the shop with compressed air.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

I might worry about that happening in my house, but my shop is fairly clean.. *g*

Reply to
mac davis

Tue, Dec 21, 2004, 10:00pm snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net (Silvan) exclaims in awe and wonder: SIT? You have room to SIT in your shop? I'm jealous! If I put something to sit on out there, I'd have to get rid of a machine or two.

Folding chair.

JOAT Sanity is vastly over-rated.

Reply to
J T

Silvan remarks:

How about two folding chairs (outdoor type), one straightback, and, best of all, an old easy chair from our previous set of furniture. I'm currently looking for a super cheap office chair that will hold my bulk so I can slip it under the table I usually work my laptop on when shooting photos.

Charlie Self "Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." George Orwell

Reply to
Charlie Self

SIT??? Hell, this time of year I get to stretch right out and recline in my shop. I just stretch out on the snowmobile with my head up on the padded handlebar stretcher and all is good.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

we have 2 folding stools and 2 cheap stools... the stools were $15 each at an auto supply and make excellent places to lay boards, when they aren't full on neighbor's butts.. *g*

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to