Cutting aluminum bars with saw designed for wood

What bad things will happen if I use this Stanley hand miter saw:
http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=PRODUCT&CATEGORY=MITRE+BOX&PARTNUMBER -800
to cut aluminum angle stock of the kind sold at Home Depot? Will it ruin the blade immediately, work fairly well, or what?
Is it possible to get a similar miter box for cutting metal?

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=PRODUCT&CATEGORY=MITRE+BOX&PARTNUMBER -800

Thought of that. The blade size for this box does not match standard hacksaw blades. Is a bigger (longer and wider) hacksaw blade made?
If the blade has hardened points - many Stanley's do say that - It might work ok for some time.
They make it like that for imported 'rose' wood - that is full of silicon that eats normal blades alive.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
mc wrote:

-

It does. Thanks.

Answering my own question, apparently the Stanley miter box saw will take Jorgensen 550-mm blades, which are slightly shorter (about 1 cm). If necessary I will modify the saw just a bit. Jorgensen has a full line of blades from 14 tpi (soft wood) to 32 tpi (steel).
Found them at www.adjustableclamp.com.
Many wood working tools work really well on aluminum. Though any razor edge (which is doubtful on a saw anyway) will be lost which may or may not make any difference to you.
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 19:14:41 -0400, "mc"

You won't hurt the blade. Some wax applied to the blade may improve the surface finish.

Not that I'm aware of. See the recent thread on rec.crafts.metalworking "Blades for cutting aluminum?" for a discussion of using a chop saw and carbide blade for cutting aluminum.
--
Ned Simmons

Thanks!
Thanks again. I've been using a carbide blade on my table saw for aluminum for a long time. The Stanley miter saw is for an electronics lab where students will use it -- I wanted a hand-powered saw. I'll mark it prominently "For wood, plastic, and aluminum only -- not hard metal" and prepare to get some spare blades.
snip

And just what kind of penalty do you think it will take to get students to READ any kind of notice??? Permanant (full 4 years) banishment from the labs didn't slow down the students in our labs!!!

These are graduate students. They pay attention.
mc wrote:
| These are graduate students. They pay attention.
Eh?
mc wrote:

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=PRODUCT&CATEGORY=MITRE+BOX&PARTNUMBER -800

Nothing bad at all will happen. Just don't try to use that blade to cut steel. Aluminum can be cut all day long with a wood blade. Just take your time. I do it quite often on my wood band saw.
Jim Chandler

Look for a handsaw with about 12pts and file it straight across like a ripsaw as there are no fibers to sever. Wax it up so the gullets don't load. If you can find a cheap handsaw with black teeth (meaning they were hardened and can't be filed) that is fine enough try that.
Or use the miterbox to scripe the layout line and finish with a hacksaw and a file.