Creativity or Synthesisity? Just Dumb Luck

Page 1 of 2
Here is my spin on charlieb's thread:
I was cleaning up the gara... er.. shop Sunday afternoon and I kept looking at a few nice pieces of spalted sycamore I'd picked up pretty cheap a couple of weeks ago, trying to decide what they were going to become. :-) Since SWMBO is something of a minimalist when it comes to furnishings and accessories, and is constantly reminding me that she doesn't need any more "dust collectors" in the house, I was thinking in terms of something useful for the shop.
I finally decided there was enough wood there for a small tool organizer of some sort, maybe even partly inspired by charlieb's wall hanging cabinet. I knew mine would have to be smaller due to the quantity of material available, and freestanding, due to a lack of wall space. I sat there for about an hour, just looking at the boards and thinking, then I commenced cutting and gluing.
Making a few deviations from the plan in my head as I went along, I was pretty satisfied with the results when I was done. Now all I had to do was figure out where to put the thing. I looked at the three drawer chest I had made a few months ago, and was thinking that the organizer seemed about the right size to sit right on top of it. I got out the tape measure, and wouldn't you know that with no forethought whatsoever, I had made both pieces exactly 24" wide!
Now just putting the organizer on top of the chest (which was taking up a good bit of space on my bench already) wouldn't work because it would block other stuff hanging on the wall. Again, a flash of lightning, and it occurred to me that if the whole thing was on wheels I could tuck it away when not in use, roll it over to whatever part of the shop I was working in, and free up some bench space.
Here is the finished product:
http://www.loyno.edu/~cbmarsh/toolcaddy.htm
A little synthesisity maybe, but mostly dumb luck.

Looks nice. And convenient.
I am feeling a little upset by all this good looking shop furniture that looks better than the stuff I have in my house.
Is synthesisity a word?
Lee Michaels wrote:

Hell, I don't know. If it's good enough for charlieb it's good enough for me!
'0D22+5 G-PP(.RHW(PXYM"H\H",A "`#L` ` end

Someday I hope to have a shop big enough and tidy enough where something as nice as that won't look out of place!
You described the process I use in almost everything I do. And I know even before I begin that it's going to be a decorative box of some kind . . . So I never know really where I'm going to end up when I start out. I just let my whimsy take over as I go along. Sometimes I get a clear idea of where I want to go somewhere in the middle. I like it that way. I don't have the patience to be a "planner" and draw everything out beforehand. And I could never be a "copyist" like Norm. I guess I must be expressing "something" in my work and that free feeling of expression gives me the most satisfaction.
FoggyTown
FoggyTown wrote:

Agreed. I look at plans for ideas sometimes, but the creative aspect is at least half the fun for me.

I made a small stool for a friend's little girl, 6"x12", maybe 6" tall. (The stool had those measurements, not the girl.) I used finish nails to hold it together. As I was driving the last nail, I got careless and the end of the nail came out the middle of the side curtain. After some thought, I sanded the end of the nail flush, then cut matching hearts from some thin wood. I glued one over the nail protrusion and the other in the same position on the other side of the stool. Now it looks like I planned it that way.
216.168.3.30:

Good save.
I've got a story too. The night before my module was due to be shown at a train show, I was putting some "finishing touches" on the road. I turned on the shop vac, and it rather quickly sucked up a large section of road. My solution was to rubber cement a tree down onto the road and not say anything about it. People thought it was intentional, and I got a few positive comments on it.
Puckdropper

As I often say, "Every screwup is an opportunity for improved design modification."

That sounds a little like me. I subscribe to the theory that if you stare at something long enough you can eventually make it happen.
I do, however make some shop sketches or even layout drawings of most projects. Can't help it - I was a draftsman in a previous life. I'm CAD trained but most of my experience in on the drawing board (For those unfamiliar, that is a flat table on which one uses pencils, pens, straightedges and various instruments to make precision drawings - WITHOUT a computer).
RonB
RonB wrote:

once showed me this contraption for making calculations... I think he called it a "slide rule" or some such nonsense.....

I got a good laugh from an old board draftsman friend a couple of months ago. He had worked at Boeing several years ago, and did quite a few B-52 mod drawings. The Air Force required periodic change-order updates and none of the CATIA whiz-kids knew what to do. All of the drawings were ink on mylar or linen. After several pleading calls, they finally got Ralph and a few of his old associates out of retirement.
According to Ralph he really didn't want to go back to work but he couldn't resist the $150/hour rate - or being supervised by kids who didn't know what the hell all that funny looking drafting equipment they had to round up was used for.
They had CATIA contractors in the same room making $80 to $100/hour.
RonB
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
> LOL! My dad is a retired civil engineer from the pre-computer days. He > once showed me this contraption for making calculations... I think he > called it a "slide rule" or some such nonsense.....
Them's fightin words.
You are hereby challenged to a duel with log-log-decitrigs complete with folding and log scales at high noon<G>.
(You bet your sweet ass I still know how to use mine)
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Actually, Lew, I am old enough to have learned how to use a slide rule in school, although their use was in rapid decline.
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
> Actually, Lew, I am old enough to have learned how to use a slide rule > in school, although their use was in rapid decline.
Toughest part of learning to use a "slip stick" was to properly locate the decimal point.
BTW, sign of a true nerd, having your slide rule hanging from your belt.
Had a prof, retired navy admiral, who would reduce your grade a full letter if you wore your slide rule on your belt to his class.
Lew

Since I was a liberal arts major in the 60s, I was completely mystified by those things. If they weren't somehow associated with beer, grass and parties - what use were they?
FoggyTown
FoggyTown wrote:

*why* I went on to major in liberal arts with a concentration in those subjects you mentioned. :-)

You must have been like us. The only reason we ever invited "engineer types" to parties was to have someone handy to tease or abuse.
FoggyTown
FoggyTown wrote:

Well, you had to have someone at the party who, by comparison, made you look cool to the women.
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:

Just be happy you never invited any engineer women. There was one in my class at Tech (gorgeous by the way) who was putting herself through school working summers as an instructor at the Colorado Outward Bound (which means that she got to haul the weenies _down_ the mountain who broke themselves going _up_ the mountain). Somebody challenged her to a chugging contest once. She put down not one, but _two_ Guinness in a single pour.
--John