Panasonic cordless drills are just dumb?

Why on earth would anybody want a cordless drill that starts at no less than 100 or 350 RPM?

Reply to
John Doe

Use it as screwdriver?

Reply to
Charlie

Because its durable and holds up when you throw it at a wall because it stripped your screws and you are pissed? Because you like the name panasonic? Because life isnt perfect?

Reply to
ransley

Who would want a screw driver that starts at 100 RPM?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Beware of all things mastuSHITa (parent company of Panasonic and others)...

Reply to
Pete C.

Beware of stupid posts!

A coarse thread 3-1/2" deck screw has approx 28-35 threads. At 100 rpm, that's a minimum of just over 15 secs to drive one screw. Who is so stupid as to want a screwdriver slower than that?

nb

Reply to
notbob

=3D=3D They are "variable speed" and can be run at any RPM you select within the range they are designed for. You can't be very observant or are totally incompetent or both. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

IMHO, a cordless is the wrong tool for production use on high-torque applications. I have a cordless 24v B&D, and love it for small light-duty jobs, but it doesn't do deck screws and similar chores worth a damn. It did great with short drywall screws, and when I had to shoot a couple hundred self-tapping panel screws putting my shed back together after a tree fell on it, But after about 4 3.5" deck screws when changing out some rotten boards, I ran out and bought a real corded drill with a lot more torque. (I had smoked my previous corded drill, an el cheapo B&D 3/8, drilling wiring holes through 40 year old framing that was hard as a rock.)

Reply to
aemeijers

Impact drivers are far far better at the task than a drill/driver. As for drill RPM, my Makita and Hilti drills both start from near zero RPM and quite often those low RPMs are needed when getting a bit started properly on center, getting a screw point started, etc. Again remember matsuSHITa and run the other way with any of their brands.

Reply to
Pete C.

You appear to be suffering from a reading comprehension problem. Panasonic cordless drills run at no less than 100 RPM in low gear and no less than 350 RPM in high gear.

I have nothing against Panasonic, but I keep running into that stupid attribute of their drills, and it just seems crazy. No other company in the world designs Their cordless drills to prevent running at slower than 100 RPM, because it's a stupid idea. That is just plain stupid, there is no other description.

Only a Panasonic fanboy could love a drill like that.

Reply to
John Doe

Hmmm, That is not a variable speed? Mine is. and reversible direction as well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

All of Panasonic's current cordless drills do not allow RPM of less than 100 (no less than 350 in high gear). It has been that way for years. And that's the way it is.

Reply to
John Doe

Why do people use cordless tools on a deck when there is almost alwys an outlet no more than ten feet away? Cordless tools are made for situations where there is no electricity, or in places where the cord is a big hassle, like on a roof. And unless you have a top quality commercial cordless, you're only asking to destroy the drill on 3.5" deck screws. Even a cheap corded drill has a tough time with those screws.

Last year I bought a small deck from someone who moved their mobile home, and sold the deck. It was only a few years old and in good shape. It was put together with deck screws. I tried to dismantle it using a cordless drill (no power was available). None of my cordless drills could remove the 3 to 4 inch deck screws. Using a screwdriver was even tough. I got a trailer and a few friends to come over, intending to just lift the whole deck on the trailer. One guy brought a very costly cordless drill, and I was surprised that it did remove some of the screws, but his battery went dead at about the 8th screw, and the battery had been fully charged. We loaded the whole deck on the trailer in one piece. When I got it home, I did some modifications to it, and had to remove some screws. Even a small corded drill had to struggle, but my big corded drill worked fine. Once those deck screws are in the wood for awhile, they are almost like someone glued them in. I guess the wood expands from weather.

One other thing. Some years ago I was overloading a cordless drill, and the battery literally exploded. Apparently it overheated. My hands, arms and face were cut when chunks of plastic flew from the battery. Someone else nearby also was hit and cut. No one was seriously hurt, but it was unexpected and it hurt, and could have been worse if a piece had gone in someones eye or something.

Reply to
jw

I have an 18v sears cordless that has a lo/hi gear selector. I use it pretty regularly to drive screws including deck screws with the low setting. It does pretty well even on the 3 1/2" and 4" ones. But if I have a lot to do I will get out the corded drill. I agree that any situation where you have a lot of repetitions and power available it's better to use corded tools. But you can't be the convenience of the battery ones when all you have to do is a few things.

Better question is why would you buy a power tool from a tv manufacturer?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

On 5/6/2011 8:44 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

Same reason one might buy a railroad locomotive or jet engine from a company that makes home appliances????

Reply to
dpb

Because its the best? I have owned or used DeWalt, Bosch, Ryobi, Craftsman, and Porter Cable cordless drills. My all time favorite is my 15.6V Panasonic. Nice weight, size, balance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mine will turn much slower. It will barely move at the lowest setting. Mine is a 15.6V, but perhaps other sizes are different.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Or healthcare equipment from a company that leases airplanes?

(GE)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Who is so stupid as to want a screwdriver slower than that?"

Anyone who uses a screwdriver for other applications than building decks.

Of course, that doesn't make the user stupid.

I don't want my screwdriver to *always* be slower than 100RPM, but I certainly want the option of having it *start* at less than 100 RPM.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: "Cordless tools are made for situations where there is no electricity, or in places where the cord is a big hassle, like on a roof."

I can't recall a time where I needed to pull out my corded drill because my DeWalt cordless coudn't handle the task. I've build/rebuilt decks, docks, sheds, cabins, and houses.

The only time I use my corded drill is when I need a hammer drill.

re: "One guy brought a very costly cordless drill, and I was surprised that it did remove some of the screws, but his battery went dead at about the 8th screw, and the battery had been fully charged."

That doesn't tell us anything about cordless drills in general. I had a Dewalt a few years back where the batteries were shot. "Fully charged" meant nothing from a usage-time perspective. They would die after a very short time under minimal loads. Of course, they would charge up again in a very short time so I was never without a battery, but what a pain.

Unless someone else had a "very costly " (what does that mean?) cordless drill that also used up a "fully charged" battery after only

8 screws (really?) then it's very possible that the drill/battery was the problem, not the use of a cordless drill in that situation.

I wonder how many contractors out there still use a corded drill on an everyday basis, determined by whether electricity is available or not.

Reply to
DerbyDad03