OT; Luck?

I look after a three story office block on a local industrial estate one morning a week. Owners live miles away in Worcestershire.

Previous maintenance guy left under a cloud 4 months ago, taking all the information, records & many of the keys with him - leaving the owners (& me) completely in the dark.

Got a call from one of the tenants on Friday, there was an alarm sounding loudly on the unoccupied ground floor.

Finally traced it to a keypad inside one of the unoccupied offices. Instructions said "enter pin to reset".

Took a flying guess that it might be 1234 - and it was! Silence reigns!

Called the owners, nobody knew anything about it, must have been install by the previous tenants - Medway Chamber of Commerce - who bizarrely went skint just under a year ago.

Back there today fixing the front door lock when a Chubb Alarms van pulls up, guy asks me where the Medway Chamber of Commerce was. Annual service on the alarm!

Had I been anywhere else in the building he would have tried the entry phone, got no answer & gone!

Somebody up there was looking after me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I trust the Chubb guy has changed the PIN, now that you've told the world what it was... :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Probably removed the alarm if the maintainace contract is not paid.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Say that when the office block owners fires you for giving out the alarm code to all and sundry!

In reality though, its a good probability no harm has really been done, but one day you will learn to be a little more thoughtful with the posts that you make within these groups (and probably in other places), because sods law being what it is, you really will post the wrong information one day - and that will cause you some serious problems, rather than the odd bouts of piss-taking.

But I doubt that you will take some good advice for once.

Reply to
Unbeliever

If it's an unoccupied office it's not going to matter is it. It's not a building alarm after all.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, there won't be any of that coming from your envy-fuelled posts.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nor is it the Chubb engineer code (which I am not giving out)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well nothing in there to nick apart from the alarm.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I do sometimes wonder about posters using their own names or an easily identified pseudonym, though. The risk for TMH is that he loses more goodwill than he gains. I'm all in favour of freedom of expression, but TMH could get that posting anonymously. And, yes, as it happens I have disagreed quite strongly with one or two of the things he has said in the past.

Reply to
GB

Reply to
Mr Pounder