Very OT - which is more environmentally friendly?

Blow your nose on a tissue.

Options are:

(1) Flush down the bog to enhance the beach

(2) Put in the bin to go to landfill (or incinerator)

Which is more environmentally friendly?

Or should you use reusable handkerchiefs (possibly similar to argument over reusable nappies).

Yes, I am fed up and bored.

Dave R

Reply to
David

The pictograms on the box I have here clearly show that dropping into a waste bin is the only approved method of disposal.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

your sleeve or eat it

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

On 20 Aug 2022, David wrote

Nah; tissues down the toilet are verboten. Unlike toilet paper, which disintegrates when wet, tissues (and kitchen towels, and disposable nappies) are designed to hold together when wet. They're more likely to start a fatberg than to make it all the way to the beach.

That's the answer.

Blockages and fatbers in the sewage system aren't friendly at all.

Dunno -- probably -- but blowing your nose and storing the snot-rag in your pocket is gross.

(Yeah; me too.)

Cheers, HGarvey

Reply to
HVS

Man up. use your sleeve cuff, or the antimacassar

Reply to
Andrew

Actually there is some evidence (I will have to try and find it) where the latter boosts the persons immune system.

Reply to
Andrew

On 20 Aug 2022, Andrew wrote

That's always made sense to me -- ingesting bugs as a form of self- vaccination.

It would explain why it's instinctive rather than learned behaviour: far from having to learn to do it, children have to be taught that it's not acceptable public behaviour.

Cheers, Harvey

Reply to
HVS

indeed

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

David snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com wrote

I never ever do.

Only in the worst jurisdictions would it end up on the beach.

Both in most jurisdictions.

Never do that either. Yes, that is more environmentally friendly.

No possibly about it.

A Jap would have the decency to disembowel itself.

Don't make a mess of the carpet, do it outside and close to the tap so you don't need a hosepipe to wash the blood and gore away.

Reply to
Jamesy

I suppose the most envi friendly is to avoid the tissue altogether and do what I see some people doing, which is to seal one nostril with a finger causing the mucus to exit the second nostril at suitable veliociuty to discharge onto the ground, and then repeat as necessary.

Apols for typing, cabernaut savignon has been consumed.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

(3) flush down the bog to get digested in the sewage treatment plant down the garden,...

(4) bury in the bit of garden being filled up with waste soil and dead plant material

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The most environmentally friendly thing to do is pick your nose and eat what you get out of your nose.

Reply to
Jamesy

Remember the health authorities are now monitoring sewage for various early warnings of what is circulating in the public of the catchment areas, Now they are using it to detect hotbeds of drug abuse and even sexual transmitted diseases. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In fact, at birth the baby gets an important dose of 'friendly' bugs from mums bum area as it comes out.

In Sweden, when babies are born by Caesarian, they swab around mums bum hole and wipe it all over babies face.

Reply to
Andrew

They used to track down Cholera suspects (who had the disease without symptoms) by sampling the sewage and following the pathway back all the way to the nearest street by checking manhole covers at every junction.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

They're doing it now with polio. I'd be surprised if they haven't found the source by now.

Chris Hogg

I thought it was suspected to be due to live vaccine rather than infection? As such, there isn’t a polio outbreak.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

<snip>

I see no reason why they can't go in the compost bin. The viruses won't last long without the warmth of a human.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

There's a brilliant book about public health people many years ago, including a story where they were getting typhoid (I think) on a beach.

THey spent three years tracing back all the way because it was intermittent, and only during the summer months.

They traced it to one woman. Married to the guy who had a van on the beach. She occasionally went out to the van at home, to get ice cream.

A good book, but I can't for the life of me remember the title. And I think I have a copy among my 4,500 books. The catalogue is no use when I have nothing to look up.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I see no reason to put a finger up a nostril to scrape clean and then eat the bogeys....

So you can boost your body's immune system, you've recycled, and you've avoided water use in the toilet and you've avoided adding to landfill.

Reply to
SH