Environmentally Friendly Finishing

I am wondering what experience the wreck has with some of the earth friendly finishes on the market?

I have used some of the products available from BioShield with great success. My only hesitation about them is that they are quite steep, but it was nice to have the shop smelling like citrus oil, rather than some possibly harmful chemical.

What other experiences have peeps had?

Reply to
Tattooed and Dusty

"Tattooed and Dusty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

How about shellac? It's pretty earth-friendly compared to most finishes.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

Enduro makes a waterbased poly and enamel that spray nicely and the gun clean up with water is really nice. Google "Compliant Air", they sell HVLP guns, finishes and a water based grain filler that works pretty well.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Major reason that a lot of environmentally friendly products don't sell. The public won't pay very much for it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ooooarrrh ! But their children will in the long term.

Reply to
dzine

They're equally environmentally friendly when used and disposed of properly. If you live in a smog sinkhole, it's obviously more important to limit some forms of evaporatives.

Most people are real concerned about the use, and never consider the manufacture, however. That's done somewhere else, like downwind of a busy Chinese foundry....

Reply to
George

Earth-friendly is one of those things that are difficult to judge; some very nice friendly things are made in horrible ways, or require excessive energy, etc.

Anyway, for a finish that is non-toxic to use, doesn't smell bad, is find to rub on with my bare hands and should be at least somewhat earth-friendly, I use Tried & True. And it makes the wood look wonderful. It is a bit expensive, but negligable compare to the cost of the wood (unless you are using it on pine, not such a good idea anyway).

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Reply to
Never Enough Money

my standard cabinet finish is enduro poly:

bridger

I like General Finishes stuff

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Was gonna say the same. Bug spoo and booze. Hard to get any friendlier. Although for maximum friendliness you should try to get some pure ethanol for the solvent, and leave the methanol at the door.

Reply to
Silvan

Hydrocote Resistane $19/gallon. Superb stuff.

Reply to
Rumpty

Silvan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Yep, I use the ethanol, too. I started using it because I have young kids and didn't want the heavy chemicals around. Now I like it because it's faster and because it's more forgiving (e.g., I can rework it after I goof it up).

The hardest thing for me is getting the mix of alcohol, shellac, and oil correct so that it goes on right. I have yet to be able to generate the "vapor trail" thing that's mentioned in the books.

Reply to
Nate Perkins