Craftsman Radial Arm Saw Recall / Free Upgrade Kit

Page 2 of 2
On Friday, July 22, 2016 at 12:45:34 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I don't think that is correct...I am pretty sure if your saw has the "T" pivot release lock handle, then it qualifies for the repair kit. It bears investigation I guess...
On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 09:45:22 -0700 (PDT), ray56 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I got mine six or eight years ago and it's still in the box. ;-) Some day I'll put the RAS back together.

You should do it. It makes it a whole new machine.
--

-MIKE-

ray56 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

That was always the case for some models.
On 7/24/2016 2:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

That's correct. My particular model was never eligible for the retrofit kit like the others. In the end though, IF it is true that Sears/Emerson Electric is no longer sending out the kits, to say one is screwed is a rather ridiculous statement.
I'm not sure, but I'm reasonably certain that the retrofit offer has been out there and fairly well published (and discussed) for at least two decades, probably more. If you didn't take advantage of it, whose fault is that?
OTOH, even though my RAS model was only ever eligible for the "turn in" offer of $100, it still runs as well as it did when I bought it in the early 70's. AFAIAC, it's one of the better Sears RAS that still had some "beef" and, when properly set up and tuned was and is a great RAS.
The only thing the recall ever addressed was safety guard issues that, again, are pretty much "non-issues" if you exercise the due care required when using such tools.
Just my two cents.
snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net says...

Yep. To say that one is "screwed" is greatly overstating the case. Getting a new table for free was nice, the new guard was more annoyance than benefit and has been replaced with the old guard, so about all that changed is that I saved the price of a half a sheet of MDF.
For what it's worth, I has a 9" Craftsman RAS stored away for possible resu rrection in the future. Got it VERY cheap in a yard sale. I just realized it was a candidate for the recall. I sent in the request in May, got the return box in June and the $100 check last week.
So, if your saw is a candidate and you no longer want it, you can still get the $s.
Bill
On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 11:18:21 AM UTC-4, J. Clarke wrote:

On Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 3:26:43 PM UTC-5, kimosabe wrote:

Tried to get a safety kit for my radial arm saw. They said it was no longer available. They wanted me to send parts of my working saw in to disable it and get a $100 rebate. My saw is worth a lot more than that, as it is used often. Would just like it to be safer. 8 87u 8u 8
I call on Friday they said no more retrofit kits are available for my saw I have been using this saw for a long time and have had no issues with it so if they don't want to pay me it's value which to me is 500.00 as it makes me alot of money then it is on them if it does go to hell . Talked to my at torney he said they can't offer to fix just some and not all.
In article <09b867d0-97aa-4c6b-a1e9-

The court has decided that they in fact _can_ fix just some and not all, so good luck with that.
On 12/5/2016 7:25 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

An attorney is going to tell you what ever you need to hear to continue spending your money.
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 16:24:40 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So sue them. LOL!