Cost of Oak

Can anyone tell me the cost of Oak per cubic foot in the UK please

Thanks Mick

Reply to
Mick stanford

Wouldn't they be metric over there? You'd need the price per cubic meter.

Reply to
Herman Family

Hi, Mick

Prices are very variable, depending on what you're after. I deal with Harry Adcock of Corby Glen, who works out at around 40 GBP per cu ft for air-dried stuff (waney boards, so considerable wastage) and Honeypot Lane Timber, who supplies freshly-sawn oak at 12.50 GBP per cu ft (cut to your specs)

It's hard to give a single representative price. Clear timber is more expensive than timber with defects. Wide boards are rarer than narrow boards, so they tend to attract a premium. Quarter-sawn timber is more attractive and stable, but the conversion process is wasteful, so it too will attract a premium price.

The following is South London Hardwoods' website, showing the price of their loose oak boards.

can do the maths!

HTH

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Thanks for the info Frank. Have a look at uk.local.lincolnshire and you will see why I was asking. Mick

Reply to
Mick stanford

Hi, Mick,

Not too far down the A1 from you, in sunny Rutland. Had a look at the lincs ng - I presume you're talking about the reclaimed oak beams @20 GBP per cu ft - that's a pretty good price. Shame I don't have the storage space, or a job for it at the moment!

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

Oak is a slow growing tree, so we're still felling the old imperial trees. The metric plantings won't be ready for a decade or two yet.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I just happened to have looked through my receipts yesterday.

6 months ago I paid 27 quid per cube for European boule oak (waney edged, through and through kiln dried boards) about half of which was quartersawn.

About a year ago I paid 20 per cube for American white oak (square edged, kiln dried boards 8x1s) crown cut.

Both of these are FAS and rough sawn 1" timber.

Those prices don't include VAT or delivery. I've got the good fortune to live in the same town as my timber yard (John Boddies in Boroughbridge) so the timber goes on my roofrack.

Those prices will vary and you get a discount if you order lots (I think that more than 10 foot and you start getting discount....although I could be wrong).

Reply to
Frank Shute