Cordless drill recommendations?

Page 2 of 3
Swingman wrote:

Thanks for the info. Then my experience is not all that atypical. Guess I'll plan on getting them rebuilt again. Part of that not throwing things away issue I've got. Even though a new drill is nearly the same cost as re-built batteries, I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good drill just because the batteries go bad.

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:55:33 -0600, Swingman cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Where do you source your batteries for the rebuilt from Swing?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

www.primecell.com www.voltmanbatteries.com
Prices have now gone up since, but voltman re-built my two oldest 18v's earlier this year for $70.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

If you're handy with the soldering iron, those cells can be found with welded-on tabs for wire connections. Helps you rebuild a laptop battery and save 60-75 bucks on 100.
--

-MIKE-

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:31:23 -0600, -MIKE- cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

That's really what I'm looking for. I haven't invested the time to figure out where to get the best quality batteries from, and I thought Swing was rebuilding his own, and had found a good source for the cells.
If anyone has any experience and input on a good source that they've used, I'd be interested. I have a couple of DeWalt batteries and a couple of laptop batteries that I need to rebuild.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Amen on the Dewalt 18v. My son got me one for Christmas and I had it swinging a 2-1/8" lockset bit today in a 1-3/4" solid core door. No problem.
I still have a Dewalt 14.4 hammer drill / driver and a 14.4 right angle. They still work but the batteries are pecky and the cost of batteries makes the Christmas gift a double blessing.
Those Dewalts replaced a Makita 9.6 and a 7.2 right angle. They still turn but can't do much more than mix thin batter.
Hard to believe we loved those little guys so much but I thought they were god's gift when I switched from the Yankee to them.
Regards,
"Tom Watson" < wrote

Same here ... I never thought I'd ever own anything but Makita for damn near 20 years because of the first one I had. I actually built a couple of studios using those cordless drills, driving screws to do all the interior, staggered stud framing.
Last Makita cordless I had didn't last two years ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I am a true believer in quality. I own some pieces that would indicate that. BUT. Cordless drills are becoming weird to me. When I can buy a case with a Hitachi 1/2"/18v drill/2 batteries and fast charger for $ 89.00, the EXACT same price as a replacement battery for my trusty Milwaukee 14.4v...then I am starting to think the whole thing is about 'disposables'. Throw away the Zippo, go for the BIC. (Besides, no more skin rashes on the thigh after overfilling the Zippo...so I'm told.) I bought one of those Hitachis and tossed it in one of the delivery trucks, in case somebody needed it during an install. I did, and I was 100 KM from home. (In my silly head, I now own that drill for free.)
I don't like the whole disposable concept, but anytime I can move a tool from the capital to the expense column, I will do so.
trucks, in case somebody needed it during an install. I did, and I was 100 KM from home. (In my silly head, I now own that drill for free.)
Isn't a matter of survival? Even before I started using this wheelchair, whatever vehicle I was driving always had a basic set of tools in the trunk. Since I was contracting at the time, that basic set included a saw, hammer chisels, screw drivers and some mechanics tools. Nowadays with the chair, I have to carry enough tools to do an unexpected repair. With what I carry as survival gear, I could strip a car down in ten minutes. :)

LOL. Don't those 4 axle stands look suspicious?

Nah! If somebody asks, I explain that they're so I can see above the crowd.
Upscale wrote:

On a few tours, I've earned the nickname MacGyver, because of all the repairs I've done to get us out of otherwise detrimental situations. Also, because I keep a trouble case of repair stuff for drums, audio cables, and even guitar gear.
20 years of gigging has taught me to bring stuff to get guitar players out of binds, because they don't bother to pack things like an extra cable, 9 volt battery, or a direct box. I guess they have too much to carry with the guitars, effects rack, and ego. :-)
--

-MIKE-

HA! Extra $750,000 bus needed for ego alone. A million dollar bus for the drummer?? KIDDING!!! A friend of mine was playing a gig and while on stage, somebody took a whole bunch of stuff from the trailer. All stuff like you mentioned. Repair stuff. The band was very upset that the 'fix-anything-kit' was gone. They suddenly felt very insecure. (I told them NOT to put the band's logo and graphics all over the damn trailer... "good stuff in here... steal me steal me...")
Robatoy wrote:

There are guys all over Nashville with gear brand stickers all over their cars. I never got that. I tell them they might as well have a sticker saying, "Here's what's inside for you to steal!"
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadie_(film)
Serve with two cases of Shiner, iced down, and back to back with "Spinal Tap" and "The Commitments".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I absolutely love The Commitments. So close to my heart. So is Still Crazy... but on a different level. Tap is a bit contrived..IMHO. I still like though.
Swingman wrote:

I can't believe I haven't seen that movie.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

I never went on the road. But I worked in a lot of "musical" environments. Including recording studios. I always had very complete tool kits and some basic supplies. And could fix a lot of things that others could not because of it.
Hell, in electronics school, we needed 9 volt batteries for our scientific calculators. It was amazing the number of guys who would need another battery inthe middle of a test and expected me to supply them free of charge. They got upset with me when I charged them at least triple the going rate.
But every guy who had that happen to him stocked up on batteries. The teachers approved because they could teach it but the students wouldn't do it. A little test stress battery situation drove the point home.
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Is the going rate for on site availability of a 9VDC battery still $10.00 or is it up to $20.00 these days?
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

It was over 25 years ago. I kinda charged what the market would bear. But the tighter the situation, the more the battery cost.