Cordless drill recommendations?

Thanks for the info. Then my experience is not all that atypical. Guess I'll plan on getting them rebuilt again. Part of that not throwing things away issue I've got. Even though a new drill is nearly the same cost as re-built batteries, I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good drill just because the batteries go bad.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I picked up the Makita LCT300W combo set a few months ago, and love it. It's only a little more expensive than the drill alone, plus you get an impact driver and flash--no--floodlight.

One feature I love is the way the keyless chuck works. Center your bit, and turn the chuck, and it will click, getting tighter with each click. I haven't spun the chuck around a bit yet!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I went with the Rigid Li-ion 18v primarily for the (free) lifetime service agreement:

IS COVERED UNDER THE LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT:

The Lifetime Service Agreement on RIDGID® Hand Held Power Tools, Stationary Power Tools and Pneumatic Tools covers all worn parts in properly maintained tools, including normal wear items such as brushes, chucks, motors, switches, gears and even cordless batteries...

They have several service centers near me so there wouldn't even be shipping charges involved when I need service.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

Ditto that!

I keep mine at the lumber rack, with a Matsushita carbide blade and zero clearance foot installed. I love that saw!

All of my 18v DeWalt tools were picked up as part of a refurbished 6 tool kit for $300. My plan was to sell the 4 1/2" angle grinder, impact driver, and recip saw on eBay, and keep the circular saw, hammer drill, chargers and batteries. Nothing made it to eBay

The angle grinder has turned out to be super handy for cutting bolts and threaded rod, shovel and mower sharpening, and even some power rasping. Bolts and rod that took multiple fiberglass discs with the Dremel are child's play for the grinder.

The recip saw has proven to be a fantastic pickup, as all of my recip saw use is usually short work, like removing a door jamb, pruning trees, cutting a single hole... Only during an extended pruning session did I need to swap a battery.

I do my own vehicle maintenance at home. The impact driver has gotten a bunch of use during tire rotations and the inevitable Wrangler repairs.

Reply to
B A R R Y

"B A R R Y" wrote

Does a battery powered impact driver generate enough torque to bust loose lug nuts and reinstall them to the proper torque?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Depends on the driver and the torque spec.... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

It doesn't have to re-torque them. I do that with a torque wrench, by hand, as I have aluminum wheels on all my cars.

No problem getting them loose, if they were properly installed. If the nuts were put on in typical shadetree mechanic style, you'd need to break them loose before jacking the car.

What gave me the idea to use it on the car was the number of them I see in the pits @ Lime Rock Park.

Reply to
B A R R Y

A typical half-inch 18v cordless impact wrench gives about the same torque as an "average" half inch drive pneumatic. That's enough for most use on cars.

Since nobody said it, do _not_ use an impact wrench to _tighten_ lug nuts (or any other fastener) unless it's a tool that is designed for the purpose and has the necessary torque control or unless you are using a purpose-made torque limiter with it. You can get a set of torque-limiting extensions from Harbor Fright for about 60 bucks--how accurate they are I have no idea--personally I use a torque wrench unless I'm on the road fixing a flat.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I am a true believer in quality. I own some pieces that would indicate that. BUT. Cordless drills are becoming weird to me. When I can buy a case with a Hitachi 1/2"/18v drill/2 batteries and fast charger for $ 89.00, the EXACT same price as a replacement battery for my trusty Milwaukee

14.4v...then I am starting to think the whole thing is about 'disposables'. Throw away the Zippo, go for the BIC. (Besides, no more skin rashes on the thigh after overfilling the Zippo...so I'm told.) I bought one of those Hitachis and tossed it in one of the delivery trucks, in case somebody needed it during an install. I did, and I was 100 KM from home. (In my silly head, I now own that drill for free.)

I don't like the whole disposable concept, but anytime I can move a tool from the capital to the expense column, I will do so.

Reply to
Robatoy
100 KM from home. (In my silly head, I now own that drill for free.)

Isn't a matter of survival? Even before I started using this wheelchair, whatever vehicle I was driving always had a basic set of tools in the trunk. Since I was contracting at the time, that basic set included a saw, hammer chisels, screw drivers and some mechanics tools. Nowadays with the chair, I have to carry enough tools to do an unexpected repair. With what I carry as survival gear, I could strip a car down in ten minutes. :)

Reply to
Upscale

LOL. Don't those 4 axle stands look suspicious?

Reply to
Robatoy

On a few tours, I've earned the nickname MacGyver, because of all the repairs I've done to get us out of otherwise detrimental situations. Also, because I keep a trouble case of repair stuff for drums, audio cables, and even guitar gear.

20 years of gigging has taught me to bring stuff to get guitar players out of binds, because they don't bother to pack things like an extra cable, 9 volt battery, or a direct box. I guess they have too much to carry with the guitars, effects rack, and ego. :-)
Reply to
-MIKE-

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:55:33 -0600, Swingman cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Where do you source your batteries for the rebuilt from Swing?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

HA! Extra $750,000 bus needed for ego alone. A million dollar bus for the drummer?? KIDDING!!! A friend of mine was playing a gig and while on stage, somebody took a whole bunch of stuff from the trailer. All stuff like you mentioned. Repair stuff. The band was very upset that the 'fix-anything-kit' was gone. They suddenly felt very insecure. (I told them NOT to put the band's logo and graphics all over the damn trailer... "good stuff in here... steal me steal me...")

Reply to
Robatoy

Nah! If somebody asks, I explain that they're so I can see above the crowd.

Reply to
Upscale

I thought I was the only one that suffered from that. How come nobody ever talked about it back in the day?

Reply to
LRod

There are guys all over Nashville with gear brand stickers all over their cars. I never got that. I tell them they might as well have a sticker saying, "Here's what's inside for you to steal!"

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

with two cases of Shiner, iced down, and back to back with "Spinal Tap" and "The Commitments".

Reply to
Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote

Prices have now gone up since, but voltman re-built my two oldest 18v's earlier this year for $70.

Reply to
Swingman

I absolutely love The Commitments. So close to my heart. So is Still Crazy... but on a different level. Tap is a bit contrived..IMHO. I still like though.

Reply to
Robatoy