Recommendations for middling cordless drill?

I have a couple of corded drills which work fine.
A while ago (distress purchase) I bought a very cheap (£12 I think) cordless drill for a one off job. I find I've been using it for quite a few odd jobs as it's quite convenient.
However, it's gutless and the battery self discharges quite badly. I'm not into re-celling it because it'll still be pretty awful.
I don't want to go for top of the range, as it's just for odd jobs, but I'd like to get a reasonable replacement. I'll spend more than 12 quid this time!
Any personal recommendations? Something not physically too big would be good.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
On 10/11/2014 21:25, Bob Eager wrote:

For occasional use LiIon tools are quite nice, because the stay charged. However they also tend to be the more pricey ones.
Something like:
http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-dk1493wx-108v-li-ion-white-combi-p154753
is a very nice set - the batts hold their charge very well, the drill si very light and manageable while still packing a punch. (Its not worth buying the drill on its own since the cost of the kit is about the same as the individual item!)
Also note there are several similar versions of that kit, most don't have the combi drill and instead just have a drill driver.
--
Cheers,

John.

Lidl have an 18v Li-Ion one today at 50 quid. Pretty well all Lidl power tools are decent and excellent value - and you can take it back for a full refund if you don't like it.
I got a smaller Li-Ion one from them a few months ago for 30 quid or so. It's a cracking little drill, and ideal for those jobs where a full size one is too much. Runs for an amazing time on what looks like a tiny battery.
--
*I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wait for an Aldi lithium battery one, Had one for years and it is excellent.
On 10/11/2014 21:25, Bob Eager wrote:

I spent 100 quid on an 18V, two battery Dewalt one from Screwfix and I use it for everything except the toughest materials or hammer chiseling, where I get out my corded SDS drill.
Two batteries work well if you are not in the habit of charging the drill after using it. The batteries I have take 15 mins to charge so when one runs down, I swap in the other one and charge up the drained one. That way I always have at least one battery at full charge.

Responses so far echo what I was thinking: for an 'economical' price you can either spend about £100 on one of the dozens of offerings from the tool companies, or you can have a look in Aldi-Lidl to see what you can get for £20 to £40.[1]
I have an Aldi 18V that I bought years ago, which is very useful, though its batteries are now showing their age (I keep casting an eye on the latest aldilidli offerings, but so far resisting...nnnggghhhh)
And I have a Makita which is my "best" drill (£99). When doing a lot of assembly work I use the Makita for drilling the holes, and the Aldi for doing the screws.
Both drills have two batteries: an essential imo.
I've never ventured into Li-On country yet -- looking forward to that.
And finally: unlike many of the chaps here, I am an occasional DIY user: I don't do large projects, and so I don't need Rolls-Royce equipment.
John
[1] Aldi recently had drills on sale: a week or two after such sales is a good time to look, because they don't arse about: they like to get rid of stock quickly at cut prices.

I have a similar Bosch 10.8v set.
I use it all the time because it is so light and really has lots of ommph for it's size. and yes li-ion batteries are nice.
However if the OP doesn't want to splash that much cash then I'd look at something in the green bosch range with NiMh batteries. I've a 14.4v jobbie that I've had for a a good few years now and it is still going strong.
the 12v version of it might do the OP fine if he wants smaller and lighter.
There is also of course as others ahve said the Aldi/lidl option if you can frequent the stores at the right time.
--
Chris French

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:34:02 +0000, Chris French wrote:

p154753

Thanks for all the input. I have just gone for a Li-ion Bosch!
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Go on then, which one :-?
I don't think you'll be disappointed with Li-ion power, I inherited a Hitachi Li-ion setup recently and immediately scrapped my old Ni-cad junkers.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Not sure there's any difference in drill performance between the two - only real one being Li-ion is smaller, for a given capacity.
It might also be they are more consistent - it may not be possible to make crap Li-ion like is was with Ni-Cad, etc.
--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:13:44 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I went for it partly because of the lower self discharge.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Again that seems to be a function of the 'quality' of the Ni-Cads. Some are very much worse for self discharge than others. But not usually a problem with a drill etc which is used reasonably frequently. If it's a tool which is only used once in a blue moon a mains one would be a better bet.
--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Not seen many mains cordless drills though... ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 13:21:27 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes, but as I originally said, I have a mains one. But a cordless one is often useful.
And I will be using it sporadically. Sometimes a lot, sometimes not much at all.
wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.