Cordless drill recommendations?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:38:36 -0500, J. Clarke cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

More like a typical 18v cordless impact will deliver somewhere around 1/2 the torque of a typical 1/2 drive pnuematic. Most 1/2" pnuematics will deliver around 600 ft/lbs of torque - thereabouts. Fairly typical of 18v cordless is in the 300 ft/lbs range.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

"-MIKE-" wrote

I never went on the road. But I worked in a lot of "musical" environments. Including recording studios. I always had very complete tool kits and some basic supplies. And could fix a lot of things that others could not because of it.

Hell, in electronics school, we needed 9 volt batteries for our scientific calculators. It was amazing the number of guys who would need another battery inthe middle of a test and expected me to supply them free of charge. They got upset with me when I charged them at least triple the going rate.

But every guy who had that happen to him stocked up on batteries. The teachers approved because they could teach it but the students wouldn't do it. A little test stress battery situation drove the point home.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I can't believe I haven't seen that movie.

Reply to
-MIKE-

If you're handy with the soldering iron, those cells can be found with welded-on tabs for wire connections. Helps you rebuild a laptop battery and save 60-75 bucks on 100.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Is the going rate for on site availability of a 9VDC battery still $10.00 or is it up to $20.00 these days?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

It was over 25 years ago. I kinda charged what the market would bear. But the tighter the situation, the more the battery cost.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Was it you who wanted $ 5.00 to light that doobie back in Vegas....

1969??
Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

Was it you who wanted $ 5.00 to light that doobie back in Vegas....

1969?? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhhh...., the Doobie Scenario.

I always noticed that when a stoner pulled out one of those things, he became very disorganized trying to find some fire. Sooooo....., I got myself some lighters and began closely observing my environment. When I saw the handrolled item being produced, I pounced with lighter in hand. The folks with the herb ware usually so grateful, they shared their herbal bounty with me.

Soooo....., I ran a Doobie Lighting Service. Didn't charge for it though. But I did share.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

We may have met. Not as the doober, but maybe as the doobee.

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:31:23 -0600, -MIKE- cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

That's really what I'm looking for. I haven't invested the time to figure out where to get the best quality batteries from, and I thought Swing was rebuilding his own, and had found a good source for the cells.

If anyone has any experience and input on a good source that they've used, I'd be interested. I have a couple of DeWalt batteries and a couple of laptop batteries that I need to rebuild.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Years ago I bought the Sears 14.4 and later bought the C-3 19.2 volt drill (the latter came with a demolition saw, small skillsaw" sander and light).

I have enjoyed them and the tourque they both offeer. The 19.2 C-3 is the more powerful. It will use the 14.4 or 19.2 batteries and the cahrger will "do" either the 14.4 or the 19.2. I paid less than $180 for the 19.2 C-3 set which came with a bage that holds all the tools (nice when traveling!) and have no complaints at all.

I've used the DeWalt 18 volt years back and like it for its compactness, but not the price.

One of the 14.4 batteries has lost it recently (nearly five years of use) and I can't seem to find any replacement batteries for it - anyone know of a way to REBUILD THEM?

Anyway, for the money, the C-3 from Sears offers the best deal as one set of batteries works for all the tools you might want.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Went out browsing today and looked at -- and hefted -- drills from Makita, Dewalt, Bosch and Hitachi. Dewalt has a model 720, 18-v LI-ion, that's remarkably compact and comfortable. On-line reviews seem to give it high marks with no negatives, and the price is right in line with the other brands. I think my mind is just about made up. Thanks for all the input.

Reply-to address is real John

Reply to
John

I still have my original Porter Cable 14V that I had when I opened Future Collectibles ten years ago. The batteries still hold a good charge and I still use it. I have also obtained an 18V DeWalt and am very pleased with it as well.

Jummy

Reply to
Jimmy Mac