Cordless drill recommendations?

I'm in the market for a cordless drill and wonder what others like/dislike. I'm thinking 18V and preferably LI-ion batteries.

I was all set to buy the Makita BDF452HW based on some comments posted a couple months back, but I'm seeing reviews pointing out problems with the batteries and/or charger, and with an off-center chuck. Both problems seem to be hit-or-miss, where most units are good but some are not. So I might still go with that one, gambling that I'll probably get one without either of the problems. But I'm wondering what else anybody likes.

Reply-to address is real John

Reply to
John

Well, I keep wishing my old DeWalt would die so I'd have an excuse to get a new one with some improved features, but it just keeps trucking on.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I set out to buy an 18V too, but found that the 15.6V Panasonic has plenty of power, less weight, better feel in my hands. Go to the store and actually handle a few before you buy. Some are just too big to be practical for most applications. We also have a 12V at work that is used for many light jobs and is the drill of choice at times.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"John" wrote

No LI-on batteries, but the DeWalt 18v is still the most ubiquitous cordless drill I see in use on construction sites in this neck of the woods, with Ridgid actually showing up quite frequently among the South 'O the Border types recently.

These guys make a living with their tools, so I've always considered that to be one of the best endorsements for a tool you can find.

I have a DeWalt, and four batteries ... it replaced a Makita about 10 years ago, and has been trouble free the entire time, despite numerous unscheduled flights off 8' ladders.

Reply to
Swingman

I had an 18VDC DeWalt for almost 10 years until it got legs.

Beat the crap out of it.

It didn't owe me anything when it left.

Have been told Panasonic has a good unit, no personal experience.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I dislike cordless. The corded drills last a lot longer and my Milwaulkee is still going strong after 12 years of abuse. A lot more bang for your buck.

Reply to
Phisherman

How well do your batteries hold up? I'm on my second set of batteries in both my Milwaukee and Porter Cable. The PC is about 10 years old, the Milwaukee 5. Both sets of batteries are getting weak again. I do try to cycle them across the chargers every several weeks, but I don't coddle them by bringing them into the house when the weather gets hot.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

In fact, over a year ago, I posted a message about my 14.4v making a funny smell.

I'm still using it!

I have a bunch of DeWalt 12, 14.4, and 18 volt cordless tools, and have been happy with all of them.

Reply to
B A R R Y

... I've two Milwaukee 18V; one probably approaching 10 now, the other about 3 -- no battery failures, no special treatment--I recharge them when they go down. Milwaukee did a replacement on the old ones at some time owing to a possible vent that could get clogged that had caused some overheating during recharging aiui. I never saw any problem but took the advantage last year iirc on the older. The newer weren't subject to the recall.

Only complaint would be they're somewhat big and heavy, so would recommend to OP to check in person as someone else already suggested. Suitability would depend mostly on what purpose(s) one is after--I wanted tough for heavy work; I'd buy something much smaller for cabinet work, etc., if were doing that to great extent these days.

--

Reply to
dpb

Amen on the Dewalt 18v. My son got me one for Christmas and I had it swinging a 2-1/8" lockset bit today in a 1-3/4" solid core door. No problem.

I still have a Dewalt 14.4 hammer drill / driver and a 14.4 right angle. They still work but the batteries are pecky and the cost of batteries makes the Christmas gift a double blessing.

Those Dewalts replaced a Makita 9.6 and a 7.2 right angle. They still turn but can't do much more than mix thin batter.

Hard to believe we loved those little guys so much but I thought they were god's gift when I switched from the Yankee to them.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Corded drills are nice, but they don't fill the same niche as cordless. Like most people I have both. One is a Milwaukee right-angle job that I got for free because the switch didn't work. $17 later, it was good as new. It has so much torque I'm afraid it will break my arm if I'm not paying attention. But when I had to climb on top of the roof recently to drill a hole to mount the sensor for my furnace's humidifier, it would have been somewhat inconvenient to drag an extension cable with me.

todd

Reply to
todd

I also have a Dewalt 18v drill that I am pleased with. But no Li-Ion batteries. I am not convinced that the advantages of Li-Ion make up for the big cost increment.

If you might ever want other cordless tools, think about families of tools from the same maker with interchangeable batteries. That is one of the reasons that I choose Dewalt. Check out the other tools in the same product line up. Differences there may be enough to tip you decision one way or the other.

Reply to
Bob Haar

I have had the Panasonic 15.6v for about eight years and it has been a jewel. Rebuilt the batteries a couple years ago (Primecell) but no other problems (accompanied by the sound of me knocking on wood). whoopie, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

"Bob Haar" wrote

Excellent point! I have a DeWalt circle saw and mini-shop-vac that run on those four 18v batteries. The circle saw gets rare use, but handy when you need it.

But the shop-vac is particularly handy as it goes up into any attic without cords, perfect for sucking out AC drains/pans, for sucking insulation out of windows after that crew gets finished, for cleaning up after minor a plumbing/electrical/drywall fixes, and can also be run with a cord.

One of my most traveled tools, it is almost always in my truck ... and one of those tools whose whereabouts is somehow always in my subconscious, it's that handy.

Reply to
Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

They get enough use that they get re-built after about three years after purchase, once that's done with the heftier battery packs, I get much more life, more power, and a lot more time between charges.

I've got' em on rotation now so that I don't need to re-build but one every two years. Part of maintenance costs, but not a big part to make a difference for the convenience.

Reply to
Swingman

"Tom Watson" < wrote

Same here ... I never thought I'd ever own anything but Makita for damn near

20 years because of the first one I had. I actually built a couple of studios using those cordless drills, driving screws to do all the interior, staggered stud framing.

Last Makita cordless I had didn't last two years ...

Reply to
Swingman

That's what I wonder about. Which maker has the best complement of cordless tools. I guess I'm the Bohemian of the group. I haven't done construction for a living for several years but the 14.4v Ryobi I got around 8 years or so ago is still doing everything I need. I did use it when I was working and it always did fine. Sometimes I need to grab the 2nd battery but between the 2 (orig. ones that came with the kit), I always seem to make it through the day. The batteries never did power the little circular saw good enough for much of anything. When I go to replace it, that is the one thing I'd be looking for. An accompanying saw (and maybe some other tools) that would make it through a few cuts without killing the battery.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Just a comment for those who aren't aware of it--old 18v deWalts work fine on the new 18v lithium batteries. So far I haven't felt the need either--by the time enough of my existing batteries have died the death to make getting new ones worthwhile I hope the lithium ions will have come down in price. OTOH, their new charger will handle lithium ion, NiMH, and NiCd, so I can rebuild the dead packs with NiMh. Haven't gotten the new charger yet though.

Yep.

Reply to
J. Clarke

After my 77 got legs, the 18VDC DeWalt became my circular saw of choice.

Great little gadget for breaking down sheet goods.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I bought a DC500 cordless vac too. It was my subsequent purchase after buying the DeWalt DC6PAKRA six pack tool kit. And, although I haven't used the vacuum extensively, the times I've used it have always been somewhat unique such as my recent clean up job of a litre of applesauce spreading out on the kitchen floor. It had a little trouble with the thickness of the sauce, but did get through the job eventually. Followed it up by vacuuming some water to clean out the hose. Handy little tool when you need it.

Reply to
Upscale