Cool Tool? "The Coper" for cutting baseboards

Page 2 of 2
willshak wrote:

Nowadays, it's lunch, if you stick to fast food.
--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

By the time the plaster dries, I will have the house done. Plus, how do you deal with corners where the piece being coped to is not plumb? It is a good idea and probably has some uses, but it will never take off in the real world. Takes way too long to set up, and coping is not hard at all. Plus it will only work in ideal conditions (i.e; no out of plumb situations, corners square, etc.). The way that I do baseboard would require two molds, one for each end, because I do different configurations differently. I also cannot see how it would be easy to measure to the point you are coping, so you would have to cope, then measure, then cut the other end (at least it seems that way).
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I agree that the Coper won't be handling irregular corners. I also wonder about the router-bit tearing woods, like oak, as you exit the pass. THE trick in coping by hand is the right TPI on the blade, and the tension on the fresh/sharp coping blade. Also, a comfortable, but solid, way to hold to work really helps.
For MDF (paintable) stock, who cares, a little latex caulking will hide anything. For real wood, fancy baseboard, the Coper simply will not cut the smaller inside radii OR the mustard.
I DO see a place for the Coper, just not in my type of work. Spiffy idea though.