Cool electrical tool.

Amazon got me in an ad but this looks cool

Non contact volt METER (not just test light) with an laser aimed IR thermometer. $40

Reply to
gfretwell

Would have been very hand over the years for many different circumstances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have no use for it, but I sure want one.

Reply to
micky

How is that possible?

Reply to
TimR

Capacitive coupling to the changing AC fields. Note that it is a tester, not a meter. It will tell you AC is present; and may give you a rough estimate of the voltage.

Reply to
rbowman

It might be as accurate as a $5 Harbor Fright meter. I have one coming, I will let you know. I do have a variac that I can diddle the voltage from 0~250 and compare the reading to my Fluke meter.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hall effect sensor for the AC voltage.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That's one way to to it. Other designs use a FET on the front end or an op amp. Some add a 555 to get blinking lights.

Reply to
rbowman

That?s no good for a voltage reading rather than just voltage present.

Its not clear if that thing actually shows voltage values or just the temperature values.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The one the OP linked has a flashing red and blue LEDs to give a rough indication.

Some of them light up for any AC voltage in their operating range, others try for a rough estimate. They're not DVMs by any stretch, just a quick and dirty indication of a hot wire.

Reply to
rbowman

It turns out that is all this is. It does not really try to indicate voltage beyond 12v vs 120v. There is a different indication for low voltage than line voltage but beyond that it is just a tick tracer. Not as cool as I hoped.

Reply to
gfretwell