Cool bit for Phillips screws

Page 1 of 6
I could have used this so many times before I switched to square bits.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/762395654/new-phillips-screwdriver-that-turns-new-and-damage?ref Κtegory_popular
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/11/15 12:01 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:

I love my square bits and they were a vast improvement over Phillips. But since I started using the newer Torx heads screws/bits I'm totally sold. I'm slowly converting to 100% Torx.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 8/11/2015 12:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Torx is great but I doubt I could ever convert 100% as I probably have 3000 or so assorted screws, and I use fewer and fewer screws these days.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/11/15 8:07 AM, Leon wrote:

The only thing keeping me from already being near 100% is Kreg. :-)
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 8/11/2015 10:40 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Yeah! lol... I probably have 2000 of those.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/11/15 11:12 AM, Leon wrote:

And I JUST bought another "re-fill" kit because they're 50% off this month.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 8/11/2015 11:15 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Fortunately pocket hole screws are not unique to pocket holes. they tend to be excellent quality screws for other uses. I hat the new silver finish, I don't want to bring attention to the screw.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/11/15 11:25 AM, Leon wrote:

Yep, I was using them for probably 90% things other than pocket holes. Now, with Spax and other specialty fastener brands being fairly ubiquitous around here, I'm using fewer pocket hole screws.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
On 8/11/2015 1:08 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'm not a fan of square bits. Torx works better, and to me, looks better. I don't mind "quality" Phillips either, and they look the best in most applications. Torx is the way to go though, but like you, it's a slow conversion.
One big disadvantage of both square and torx, is for a very long time, Phillips (and yuck slotted) have been used by everyone in the US, so if you are half way with square and torx, you always need an assortment of drivers to repair stuff, and both square and torx are picky with size of driver, unlike Phillips where you often can get away with the wrong size driver, you certainly can't with square bits.
My Swiss army knife that is always with me has a Phillips bit that I have used to tighten up everything from doors, chairs, even pool tables. That one bit works fine on a large variety of different size Phillips screws.
--
Jack
βœ–

For looks, you can't beat straight slotted brass screws. That's the way to go if you want the classical craftsman appearance.
The huge advantage of Torx is the bits are self-centering. In a production enviroment, where some low-skill worker with an air driver is trying to drive hundreds per day as fast as possible, that's a big thing. That's why you see Torx everywhere, and not Robertson or Allen head screws.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/11/15 1:50 PM, John McCoy wrote:

They help my high-skilled ass, too! :-)
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
-MIKE- wrote:

I ran into something different on a little trailer I bought used. The screws looked like Torx but none of my bits would fit. I wanted to replace a few that were starting to rust. On very close inspection they were 8 point. I emailed the manufacturer and they confirmed they were "double square" screws. They suggested using a #2 square drive bit. It fit perfectly.
--
GW Ross

Join the army, meet interesting
βœ–
On 8/11/15 3:00 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Now THAT might keep me in the square drive business. One of pet peeves with square drives is the polarized positioning (same with phillips and most worst with slotted). This double square concept is genius! You probably didn't drive enough of them to offer an opinion, but I wonder how they do in the long run with stripping out, etc.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

You'd think that, except in very tiny sizes, they'd do as well as Torx. There is a 12-pointed variety, called a spline-drive, that's been around for a long time (started as an alternative to allen socket, I think), and those don't seem to have problems.
Incidently, there's also a double-Torx, from what I've been told, which, of course, is not compatible with spline-drive, even tho they both have 12 points.
(there's also a 5-point Torx, for use on fire hydrants...)
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
-MIKE- wrote:

I only removed about 5 with no problem. I DID order a double square bit, which broke on the first usage, so back to just a square bit.
--
GW Ross

Join the army, meet interesting
βœ–
On 8/11/2015 3:00 PM, G. Ross wrote:

Keep in mind some Torx screws are "security Torx. They have a small round pin in the middle of the star in the screw head. Those require a torx driver with a hole in the center of the end of the bit.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/11/2015 1:50 PM, John McCoy wrote:

I think it is probably 10 of thousands of screws. I can easily drive hundreds and I am not any thing near a production environment.
FWIW Ford wanted a better screw for production, vs. the slot head screw. Robertson would have been adopted had Robertson agreed to Fords terms about patent and or use rights of the screw. As a result the Philips head was eventually developed/adopted. And FWIW I do see more Torx, I saw its introduction to GM in 1975 but by far I still see the Philips and square drive as the dominant variety.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've seen about a dozen variations on the "history of the phillips screw", but what I beleive to be the true one is that Phillips invented it for assembling aluminum aircraft hulls, because it was too easy to strip out the hole in the soft aluminum sheets. By the time he'd figured out the design and manufacturing, aircraft were switching to rivitted assembly, but someone at GM saw the screw and thought it would work well in auto assembly, since the same problem of stripped screwholes existed with sheet steel auto bodies.

To a degree that's intentional. At my prior employer, we used phillips for screws the customer was expected to want to undo, and Torx for ones internally he wasn't susposed to mess with. So we'd have 4 or 8 externally visible phillips heads, and a couple of dozen Torx inside.
John
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com says...

My Corvette had four very visible Torx screws that were specifically intended to be "messed with" by the owner--there was even a wrench provided. They were the ones that held the removable roof panel.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 8/12/2015 4:27 PM, J. Clarke wrote:

The silver retainer around the sealed beams/headlights, part of the headlight capsule, used Torx starting in 1975 with GM. It was a welcome change as the Phillips head screws were often rusted and did not want to come out.
Add pictures here
βœ–