combination plane still being made

Wow have been looking at all the #45s and #55s on ebay since the discussion of combination planes came up. Tonight I just found where to buy one that is brand new and in current production, looks just like the #45.
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0 $3&1$8&3a6
KY
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

Wow. Only $849. Such a bargain.
To be honest, I can't believe they sell enough at that price to warrant still being in production.
David
remove the key to email me.
On 09 Feb 2004 10:04:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comkey (J Pagona aka Y.B.) brought forth from the murky depths:

That reminds me of a joke: kid on the sidewalk selling pencils. At $10,000 apiece, all they had to sell was one.
It's a niche thing. Anything in a niche can sell for 10x the normal price to a very, very select few.
--
REMEMBER: First you pillage, then you burn.
---

Well, since you can buy a perfectly good old one for 1/6 the cost, I'm still not sure who is buying them. Maybe there are some very wealthy, but relatively uneducated woodworkers out there.
My complete Stanley 45 cost me $140. All it is missing is the original box and screw driver. It had very little rust, and is perfectly useable. The price I paid isn't even gloatable.
If the old ones were rare, or if the new ones worked many times better, than the niche would make sense. I still don't understand it.
David
remove the key to email me.
On 10 Feb 2004 02:10:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comkey (J Pagona aka Y.B.) wrote:

I paid $29 for a 1892, no box and only one blade, fairly good condition and still usuable.
<I posted twice and it didn't show up, so I poste again. >
(J Pagona aka Y.B.)

box and

price I

Got my 1930s vintage 45 for free (found it in the basement of this house when I bought it) complete with steel box. Knives all had factory grind, package of nickers, and instructions. Two knives missing... The plane was pretty much new in the box. The box itself has the labels, some minor wear and a bit of surface rust. The only thing I've ever used the plane for was putting beads on a Shaker style piece.
John
Hell and I thought the antiques on ebay were high, some go for $300 with the box and original cutters. I bought one last night for $35 and am going to frame it and hang it in the shop.
just wondered what would be said about the price of that new one. ;-)