Coleman Powermatic catalytic heater

A few years ago--5 or 6--I bought the above heater. The type that sits on the 4 gallon barbecue style tank.

It's been fine until today. Today, it stunk me out of the shop, smelling almost as bad as kerosene.

I'd guess the catalytic screen is worn out, or nearly so, as it doesn't seem to be throwing as much heat, either.

Tried the Coleman site to see about getting a new screen, but can find zip about that heater or any similar on-tank heater, and didn't have much luck elsewhere on the site.

Anyone with any idea of where I might get a replacement screen?

Charlie Self "Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy." Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)

Reply to
Charlie Self

Have you called the Coleman service number (1-800-835-3278 M-F 8AM-4:45PM)?

Nova

Allow me...... I need the model number of your product, as well as on the bottom should be stamped numbers. I need those #'s as well. It should be a date. Let me know and I will get you a cost including shipping shortly/

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Searcher responds:

Later this morning. I have to go out to the shop, but it's wet right now and I'm warm and have plenty to do in this office so I can stay that way.

Thanks.

Charlie Self "Vote: the instrument and symbol of a freeman's power to make a fool of himself and a wreck of his country." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Are you getting low on propane? When getting near the end of the available propane in a tank the chemical that they add to propane to give it a distinct smell will be burning off at a higher than usual rate and will produce a very offensive odor. Try switching to a full tank before you spend rebuild money on your heater.

Reply to
Charley

Charley notes:

It was low on propane, but the stink started hours before. When I turned the head upside down to check the numbers, I found that the screen had pulled away almost all across the head.

I'll spend money for the screen. If it takes more than that to fix it, I'll find another route, something on the order of finally hooking up the thermostat on my shop furnace. Right now, I don't want to spend the time it needs figuring out the 2 wires (thermostat) into the 8 terminals (furnace) bit. Next week, a guy I know who owns an HVAC outfit can tell me which is which.