Cleaning router bits with bearings.

Is it ok to just soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green do you think? I just don't want to ruin the bearings.

Thanks. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Maybe you could remove the bearing before cleaning the bit? I wouldn't want what little lubrication that's in there dissolved away. Tom

Reply to
tom

I think it'd be fine to soak your bits in Simple Green - just be sure to lube them with router bit bearing lube or something else appropriate as soon as they dry. If you're trying to get pitch off the blades, I don't think Simple Green (a degreaser, right?) would be the most effective solvent - I'd get some blade/bit cleaner and wipe off the blades, and leave the lubricant in the bearings. Not worth going cheap on tool maintainence if you have lots of money in the tools already. Let us know what works, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Absolutely not. Do not immerse any bearing (and particularly fully sealed ones where there's no way to re-lube) in any solvent.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I think that is bad advice...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

NO!

Use a product intended for that purpose. CMT Formula 2050.

Reply to
Leon

Grrrrreeeeaaaaattttttttttt Stuff!

Way mo' better than Simple Green, EZ-Off, washing soda, WD-40, mineral spirits, jet fuel, spit...

Reply to
B a r r y

Gotta argee.........hitting sealed bearings with that kind of cleaner will probably make for a ruined bearing later......

They have several different cleaners for blades and bits on the market. I'd go with one of those.

Reply to
bremen68

Since when do router bits come with sealed bearings?

Reply to
CW

The Simple Green definitely will take off the pitch, but it appears to have also taken the lubrication out of the bearing as well. When I spin it now you can sort of feel it wiggle just a touch, versus before. I think I'll remove the bearings from now on before soaking them! (Or, more likely, I'll get the CMT stuff someone else mentioned.)

So to summarize: I recommend you do NOT soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green as it will negatively affect the bearings.

JP

************* Meliora baby.
Reply to
Jay Pique

Chuck your bearing in a jar of motor oil and give a good shake and soak for half an hour or so and it'll be fine. Quite often router bit bearings become tight and stiff due to dust and wear so every now and again I remove the bearing wash, soak it in turps and then in motor oil. Have never had one seize up. Regards John

Reply to
John B

Since forever...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Simple Green is fine for cleaning router bits. But, Simple Green is a degreaser. As was suggested, you need to replace the lubrication that you've flushed out.

Flushing the lubrication isn't the problem - that's a given when you soak something in degreaser. You just have to replace the lubrication. Which, btw, is probably what you want to do. Lubrication embedded with wood dust isn't much of a lubricant.

Eric

Reply to
E. Hill

Good idea to keep things containing water away from metals, especially if you might have problems drying them afterward. Insides of bearings would qualify.

Removing bearings to clean the carbide also allows you to use one of those diamond files on the cutter _faces_ to keep the edge in decent condition. I use WD40 as my cleaner and hone lubricant. Keeps the rust that might develop on the shaft from my sweaty hands under control, too.

Reply to
George

And for that, try something like Bostik spray bearing lube.

Reply to
Doug Payne

They are sealed, but some aren't "fully" sealed--and even a fully sealed bearing when soaked in thin solvent will dilute the grease...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Whatever.

Reply to