Cleaning router bits with bearings.

Page 1 of 2

Is it ok to just soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green do you think? I just don't want to ruin the bearings.
Thanks. JP
Maybe you could remove the bearing before cleaning the bit? I wouldn't want what little lubrication that's in there dissolved away. Tom
I think it'd be fine to soak your bits in Simple Green - just be sure to lube them with router bit bearing lube or something else appropriate as soon as they dry. If you're trying to get pitch off the blades, I don't think Simple Green (a degreaser, right?) would be the most effective solvent - I'd get some blade/bit cleaner and wipe off the blades, and leave the lubricant in the bearings. Not worth going cheap on tool maintainence if you have lots of money in the tools already. Let us know what works, Andy
Andy wrote:

I think that is <very> bad advice...
Andy wrote:

The Simple Green definitely will take off the pitch, but it appears to have also taken the lubrication out of the bearing as well. When I spin it now you can sort of feel it wiggle just a touch, versus before. I think I'll remove the bearings from now on before soaking them! (Or, more likely, I'll get the CMT stuff someone else mentioned.)
So to summarize: I recommend you do NOT soak your bearing guided router bits in Simple Green as it will negatively affect the bearings.
JP ************* Meliora baby.
Jay Pique wrote:

Chuck your bearing in a jar of motor oil and give a good shake and soak for half an hour or so and it'll be fine. Quite often router bit bearings become tight and stiff due to dust and wear so every now and again I remove the bearing wash, soak it in turps and then in motor oil. Have never had one seize up. Regards John

Simple Green is fine for cleaning router bits. But, Simple Green is a degreaser. As was suggested, you need to replace the lubrication that you've flushed out.
Flushing the lubrication isn't the problem - that's a given when you soak something in degreaser. You just have to replace the lubrication. Which, btw, is probably what you want to do. Lubrication embedded with wood dust isn't much of a lubricant.
Eric
On 07/10/2005 4:26 AM, E. Hill wrote:

And for that, try something like Bostik spray bearing lube.

Good idea to keep things containing water away from metals, especially if you might have problems drying them afterward. Insides of bearings would qualify.
Removing bearings to clean the carbide also allows you to use one of those diamond files on the cutter _faces_ to keep the edge in decent condition. I use WD40 as my cleaner and hone lubricant. Keeps the rust that might develop on the shaft from my sweaty hands under control, too.
Jay Pique wrote:

Absolutely not. Do not immerse any bearing (and particularly fully sealed ones where there's no way to re-lube) in any solvent.
If they were fully sealed, you wouldn't have to worry about the lube being removed. HINT: They aren't sealed.

CW wrote:

They are sealed, but some aren't "fully" sealed--and even a fully sealed bearing when soaked in thin solvent will dilute the grease...
They aren't sealed.

being
On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:33:42 -0500, Duane Bozarth

I think the term is "shielded"...
Bingo, Bridger wins the prize.
wrote:

being
NO!
Use a product intended for that purpose. CMT Formula 2050.

Leon wrote:

Grrrrreeeeaaaaattttttttttt Stuff!
Way mo' better than Simple Green, EZ-Off, washing soda, WD-40, mineral spirits, jet fuel, spit...
Leon wrote:

<snip>
Gotta argee.........hitting sealed bearings with that kind of cleaner will probably make for a ruined bearing later......
They have several different cleaners for blades and bits on the market. I'd go with one of those.
Since when do router bits come with sealed bearings?

CW wrote:

Since forever...