Classes for a newbie in Chicago area?

Hi.
I'm looking hi and lo for intro courses on furniture making/woodworking in the Chicago area.
I've already found Bauhaus Institute and J. Miller.
Any other courses/classes in my area (less expensive?).
Thanks!
Some of the Chi Park Districts have WWing classes. Never tried one so I don't know how good they are. Horner Park on the north side of town has one. Maybe there are more in other neighborhoods??? Mark L.
ItNerd wrote:

I'd settle for someplace where I could just get 'shop time'.
Being in a condo -- no basement, and no garage -- *really* limits what one can do. <sigh>
Again, Chicago north side, or near-north suburbs.

I think the Rockler Store in Schaumburg has some classes but how detailed you'd have to call to find out.
--
Regards,
JP

Look at the adult ed programs at Oakton Community College- I've seen lots of WW classes in the past. If you're not in the north suburbs- try some of the other small colleges for adult ed or community ed programs. SOme of the local high schools also sponsor Adult Ed and after school programs.
Don't limit your search for woodworking or furniture either- you may have some luck looking for a theatre or stage craft program. Some very well equipped shops, low student/instructor ratio, plenty of shop time unless they're building a set.
Good luck, vic

Well, I was just at Bauhaus today. I just finished the power tools class and go into the design class next. I'm not a newbie but there are still tips and techniques that I've picked up in the last couple classes that make it worth my time and money. Generally speaking, they have a four-class series: Intro to Woodworking, Hand Tools, Power Tools, and Furniture Design. Intro to Woodworking is just that. They discuss the properties of wood, some design elements, and you practice making dovetail joints, half-lap joints, shallow mortises, etc. In the hand tools class, you make a table with mallet, chisel, saw, and plane. The elements of the table are roughed out for you by the instructors, and then you chop all 16 mortises and cut the mating tenons. In the power tools class, you make a telephone stand and use most of the power tools in the shop, including table saw, jointer, band saw, router, mortiser, and planer. The last class is a design class where you come in with a project you would like to make, and you, the other students, and Berthold Schwaiger (founder of Bauhaus) discuss how to go about designing the piece, how it would be built, etc. Once you have completed all four classes, you are eligible to join the Chicago Furniture Society and can also get shop time for what I believe is a very nominal fee. Overall, I've been pleased with the classes. If nothing else, it almost forces me out of the house once or twice a week for a few hours to do some woodworking. If you have any questions, let me know.
todd
This is probably out of the way for you, and you probably don't fall into the district, but College of DuPage (http://www.cod.edu ) has a pretty good intro program. They don't teach it at the college, but instead use the facilities (and teachers) from a few local high schools. I have taken the class they offer at Fenton High School in Bensenville. There are two guys who teach ww'ing there--I've had classes with both of them, and they're both great. Dunno--maybe even out of district you could still sign up...check with COD to see.
Jim