Circular Saw Electric Brake

What exactly is an electric brake on a circular saw, and is it worth the extra $50 - $60 to have one?
Thanks.
-Fleemo
Blade stops soon after releasing the power trigger. You may be less likely to hurt yourself as a regular saw may have a spinning blade for a few seconds.
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Wow, I wonder if they could use that technology on a table saw? You could call it something like Saw Slow. Maybe, Stop the Saw. I think it should be mandated in fact.
Oh, crap here we go again!
On 2 Jan 2005 19:47:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
When you release the trigger, the blade stops in a couple of seconds instead of 20-30 seconds. Safety will be greater (not a sawstop Ediwin <G>) but the saw is still dangerous. You also do not have to wait so long after each cut to let the saw stop. Saves time on multiple cuts.
If you are talking US$ I am surprised it's an extra $50-60. The principles of operation are simple enough AFAIK.

principles of operation are simple enough AFAIK.<
Yes, U.S. dollars. Actually, the price difference on the Milwaukee models seems to be between $30 and $45 at most retailers. I was able to move up to the Milwaukee 6394-21 that has an electric brake for a mere $23 at ToolUp.com. That's a buck a digit plus a few other bodily odds and ends. :)
I appreciate the input from everyone. Best regards for a great new year!
-Fleemo
On 3 Jan 2005 01:16:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yep. the saw slips, and you could lose the odd end! <G.
I am not denigrating the usefulness of the brake, and for $25 I see it as a no-brainer. I have always wondered why they did not do this years ago for saws and _drills_ (where it's really useful to stop like a cordless sometimes).
But seriously, I do not think that these electric brakes will save much if you slipped into the blade somehow, or vcvs. Two reasons:
- That blade will go across your leg in less than 1/2 second, and through your hand in less than that even. The brakes I read of took 2 seconds. Your leg _is_ the "brake" in a real slipup <G>.
- In most cases where the saw has slipped, jammed etc and cut somebody, they are probably still firmly clenching their hand on the switch, with the saw getting full power. I have never had a saw get away from me, but have had a large power drill do so (well....a coup...few times ... :-< ). It got away because as it grabbed I clutched the handle and applied _more_ power!
The brake will be convenient, and allow you to put the saw aside more quickly after each cut. If you stuf up and lay it down on the blade instead of the guard, it will only travle a few feet! <G>
Do not think of it as s Saw Stop wiener saver by any means.

LOL!
Thanks for the input, Saint., er, um, Old Nick.
-F
On 3 Jan 2005 16:11:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Ironically, I have white hair, and a longish white beard. Could do with a few kilos off, too, but not as bad as himself. I cop a lot of crap at this time of year.