Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

Page 4 of 5
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 10:54:07 AM UTC-4, tommyboy wrote:

st

ake

hop

ttern you chose is very boreing and unimaginative. It has no sole. It look s very 2-dimensional with the straight faced sides and rails. The two speci es rail used in the headrest looks badly out of place. The cushion fabric m akes me want to vomit. There is nothing special about it.

ng. The arm resets look like they'd be very uncomfortable the way they jet upwards. The legs are too thin for the piece and don't fit with the scale. They look like they are ready to snap.

imaginative. There is absolutely nothing special about this piece either. The turnings are very dry and you also have a few that have bad color matc h.

inative workmanship? LOL

You did more damage to yourself with your ABPW post than any zinger I could send your way in retort :)

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say the design wasn't one you have chosen instead of making it personal.
Mike M
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 07:38:10 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Brian your work is good enough you don't have to go therre
Mike M

Rats, I never could figure out how to reliably get to the fricking ABPW so I'll just have to take others word that Mr. Tommyboy's work is crap, as I expected.
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 08:59:06 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

Ignorance is bliss.
On 7/2/2013 10:59 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

No, actually what he posted is pretty darn good, especially the Sam Maloof style chair.
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 12:41:12 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

aginative workmanship? LOL

so I'll just have to take others word that Mr. Tommyboy's work is crap, as I expected.

Unfortunately attempting to copy Sam Maloof doesn't demonstrate imagination . It is one of the MOST copied chair styles as demonstrated by visiting any woodworking forum on the internet. It's so over done it borders on boredo m. And it was a swing and a miss per the points I made.

Still it took a skill level and attention to detail that is beyond many here. He was a bit harsh in his opening statement concerning your table, hell I am probably the most guilty for doing that, but he voiced his opinion as you had asked. If the kitchen is too hot..... And I sorta went to your defense by requesting that he show his work, he did and it appears that he has been at this for quite some time.
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 6:03:11 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

PW

p, as I expected.

by

e.

He stated that mu piece was "unimaginative, soul-less". Again, there is NO imagination used in copying another artist. I expected to see him show pro jects which demonstrated imagination. He showed nothing of the sort. Keep in mind that he has the opportunity to show his best work. I was far from impressed and from his 'mouth-off' I expected much more.

Yes I asked for criticism. As I said above - he could have expressed what he liked and didn't like w/o the 'high school workmanship' - like commentar y. Agree?

I disagree. His craftsmanship is below average at best.
snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Had to get that in, did you? You should know better... Let's regain our composure.
On 7/2/2013 5:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

You asked for criticism, he did not. I asked for examples of his work, you did not but you did take an opportunity to "get back at him" when he did show that he was quite accomplished.

Totally agree, that was harsh. you should have ignored it, especially since you were asking for criticism.
But then you fired back,
Everyone has their own taste as to what they find appealing in a piece of furniture. I'm sure you could have expressed your taste and dislikes w/o actually sounding like a high-school'er in the process, but you chose not to and thus your comments reflect more on your character than on my craftsmanship. The random mindless/thoughtless comment are what I've come to expect at the wrec so no harm done.
So what I see her are two personalities that are very much the same.

You have not been at this long enough to know.
On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:42:38 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

ABPW

rap, as I expected.

d by

ade.

NO imagination used in copying another artist. I expected to see him show projects which demonstrated imagination. He showed nothing of the sort. Keep in mind that he has the opportunity to show his best work. I was far from impressed and from his 'mouth-off' I expected much more.

hat he liked and didn't like w/o the 'high school workmanship' - like comme ntary. Agree?

No. I can smell crap when it's in front of me. Takes no amount of experie nce.
On 7/2/2013 7:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

Ok, it's obvious you are hurt, but you still think it is crap, and I don't. His work shows some real ability.
I had decided to let this post go when you asked for opinions. I felt that it was better to let it go. I guess I wasn't wrong.
Your reaction is childish and over the top, way over. Yes his criticism cut like a knife, and may have been over the top too. But you lost me in your response. You could have done 2 things, take the high road, cursed him out and been done with it. When you keep going it just makes you look smaller.
--
Jeff

Yes I asked for criticism. ----------------------------------------- You may mouth the words, but you definitely are not interested in receiving the criticism.
This is not the first time you have lost it when someone has offered a criticism of your work that you have requested.
Have a beer and smell the roses before you pop a blood vessel.
Lew
RE: Subject
If you want to show your woodworking skills, that's one thing.
If you want to shill for Disney as the price of admission to view your work,
then perform aerial intercourse on a rotating annular spheroid.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

I went to take a peek and his site tried to get me to join the Navy. : )
then perform aerial intercourse on a rotating annular spheroid. Lew

..."perform aerial intercourse on a rotating annular spheroid" ?? Not enough coffee yet today to visually wrap my head around this one, but then I have a very imaginative mind so that may be a good thing.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Lew

Naa. Even after coffee, rotating annular spheroid is much more effective and thought provoking.
As Einstein said, imagination is more important than knowledge. ;)
That is lovely. Just saw the pix. Looking forward to taking in the movie.