Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

Wouldn't it have been easier to just say the design wasn't one you have chosen instead of making it personal.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Rats, I never could figure out how to reliably get to the fricking ABPW so I'll just have to take others word that Mr. Tommyboy's work is crap, as I expected.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Ignorance is bliss.

Reply to
tommyboy

No, actually what he posted is pretty darn good, especially the Sam Maloof style chair.

Reply to
Leon

aginative workmanship? LOL

so I'll just have to take others word that Mr. Tommyboy's work is crap, as I expected.

Unfortunately attempting to copy Sam Maloof doesn't demonstrate imagination . It is one of the MOST copied chair styles as demonstrated by visiting any woodworking forum on the internet. It's so over done it borders on boredo m. And it was a swing and a miss per the points I made.

Reply to
brian

Wasted enough time on this so here's my final comment. You expect some fool to give you $1,200. for that "table?" You'd be lucky to get $120. What color is the sky on your planet??

Reply to
tommyboy

You felt so insecure about yourself after I ripped on your projects that you felt the need to browse around my website.

I've come across your type before. You've probably been to my website in the past. And I'm guessing that your initial tantrum has more to do with jealousy than an honest critique of my projects.

Reply to
brian

Still it took a skill level and attention to detail that is beyond many here. He was a bit harsh in his opening statement concerning your table, hell I am probably the most guilty for doing that, but he voiced his opinion as you had asked. If the kitchen is too hot..... And I sorta went to your defense by requesting that he show his work, he did and it appears that he has been at this for quite some time.

Reply to
Leon

Now play nice. I can assure you that there are a lot of people that will pay a very large sum of money for a piece, especially if it fits a specific need. Been there done that..

Reply to
Leon

p, as I expected.

He stated that mu piece was "unimaginative, soul-less". Again, there is NO imagination used in copying another artist. I expected to see him show pro jects which demonstrated imagination. He showed nothing of the sort. Keep in mind that he has the opportunity to show his best work. I was far from impressed and from his 'mouth-off' I expected much more.

Yes I asked for criticism. As I said above - he could have expressed what he liked and didn't like w/o the 'high school workmanship' - like commentar y. Agree?

I disagree. His craftsmanship is below average at best.

Reply to
brian

Yeah, asking for criticism (quote: Criticism ok) then throwing a temper tantrum when criticism is received (albeit snarky and uncalled-for criticism) doesn't leave an observer with a good impression of Brian.

Definitely a shaker-style, minimilistic piece. I do mostly shaker-style stuff myself, and there's nothing wrong with that style of woodworking.

As for criticism, the proportions of Brian's side table didn't look natural to me, but the lacewood and cherry looked nice and the workmanship was certainly workmanlike. Bookmatching the top would have added to the effect of the piece, I think, perhaps by resawing the solid lacewood into veneers.

But if Brian and his cohort like it, that's really all that matters.

Indeed.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Had to get that in, did you? You should know better... Let's regain our composure.

Reply to
Bill

You asked for criticism, he did not. I asked for examples of his work, you did not but you did take an opportunity to "get back at him" when he did show that he was quite accomplished.

Totally agree, that was harsh. you should have ignored it, especially since you were asking for criticism.

But then you fired back,

Everyone has their own taste as to what they find appealing in a piece of furniture. I'm sure you could have expressed your taste and dislikes w/o actually sounding like a high-school'er in the process, but you chose not to and thus your comments reflect more on your character than on my craftsmanship. The random mindless/thoughtless comment are what I've come to expect at the wrec so no harm done.

So what I see her are two personalities that are very much the same.

You have not been at this long enough to know.

Reply to
Leon

rap, as I expected.

NO imagination used in copying another artist. I expected to see him show projects which demonstrated imagination. He showed nothing of the sort. Keep in mind that he has the opportunity to show his best work. I was far from impressed and from his 'mouth-off' I expected much more.

hat he liked and didn't like w/o the 'high school workmanship' - like comme ntary. Agree?

No. I can smell crap when it's in front of me. Takes no amount of experie nce.

Reply to
brian

I am probably the worlds worse for firing back but he really did not have a leg to stand on.

Absolutely agree and, ;~),I noticed that there was a more reasonable amount of glue used on this "educational episode".

Well it was his piece and it looked nice but going a bit further I would not have used the lace on the top at all, rather I think it would have had a more balanced look hed he used the same design and used the lace on the aprons and drawer front. Used cherry for legs, drawer pull, and top. But that is just my way of thinking and really did would not have been a suggestion for better design.

Exactly! Only when you sell your work do you need to "worry" about what anyone else has to say.

Reply to
Leon

Educational episode deserves to be in quotes? Nice one Leon.

Reply to
brian

Ok, it's obvious you are hurt, but you still think it is crap, and I don't. His work shows some real ability.

I had decided to let this post go when you asked for opinions. I felt that it was better to let it go. I guess I wasn't wrong.

Your reaction is childish and over the top, way over. Yes his criticism cut like a knife, and may have been over the top too. But you lost me in your response. You could have done 2 things, take the high road, cursed him out and been done with it. When you keep going it just makes you look smaller.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yes I asked for criticism.

----------------------------------------- You may mouth the words, but you definitely are not interested in receiving the criticism.

This is not the first time you have lost it when someone has offered a criticism of your work that you have requested.

Have a beer and smell the roses before you pop a blood vessel.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Exactly, credit deserved and to be brought into recognition.

Reply to
Leon

RE: Subject

If you want to show your woodworking skills, that's one thing.

If you want to shill for Disney as the price of admission to view your work,

then perform aerial intercourse on a rotating annular spheroid.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett