Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

I went to take a peek and his site tried to get me to join the Navy. : )

then perform aerial intercourse on a rotating annular spheroid. Lew

Reply to
Bill

..."perform aerial intercourse on a rotating annular spheroid" ?? Not enough coffee yet today to visually wrap my head around this one, but then I have a very imaginative mind so that may be a good thing.

Reply to
Casper

Well, I was actually the first one who jumped in with a "Flame" for Tommy b oy, who had actually encouraged me to do so with his comment about expectin g flames for his post. Maybe I encouraged Garage boy by coming down on his side, which isn't always the case, I have trashed his stuff before as well.

Tommy has the right to his opinion, and criticism was requested but I felt it was over the top in terms of harshness (is that a word?)and more denigra ting than necessary so I jumped in to provide some defense, assuming Garag e boy would likely not.

I never did see Tommy's work (can't see fricking ABPW via my Google reader) and I loved Sam Maloof, he was a sweet and talented man and I learned a fe w things from him over the years but I have no love for that swoopy design type stuff so likely would be unimpressed.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I don't look at workmanship based on my taste, I look at it purely as what went into it.

Tommy Boy produced some nice work.

I was not impressed by Brian's work, there were a few things that I found out of place, the lacewood was beautiful, but not well done, since the glue up put a piece that distracted.. If I had no more lacewood, I would have move that to the outside where it would be less noticable instead of breaking up the pattern.

I am troubled by some of Brian's machine work, especially tablesaw work. I keep seeing the leading edge lifting, and in my opinion, his blade is too low, leading to some of the burning we see, and a huge potential for kick back. I keep the blade high, except with ply to avoid the potential, and the wood near the blade never lifts..

As far as Brian's design, I had no problem with it, only the execution.

Reply to
woodchucker

Snip I felt it was over the top in terms of harshness (is that a word?)

As much and as valid of a word as functionality and or utilization. All can be used in their more simple form with the same meaning.

Reply to
Leon

I think I would have cut the beveled edge on the TS instead of using the tilted router table fence.

Reply to
Leon

my boy, who had actually encouraged me to do so with his comment about expe cting flames for his post. Maybe I encouraged Garage boy by coming down on his side, which isn't always the case, I have trashed his stuff before as w ell.

elt it was over the top in terms of harshness (is that a word?)and more den igrating than necessary so I jumped in to provide some defense, assuming G arage boy would likely not.

der) and I loved Sam Maloof, he was a sweet and talented man and I learned a few things from him over the years but I have no love for that swoopy des ign type stuff so likely would be unimpressed.

Donkey sh*t. You judge "what went into it" based on your taste.

I am confident that he presented what was his hand picked favorites. I foun d them to be weak and uninspiring. His best of the bunch was the Maloof kn ock-off chair but this didn't demonstrate the very trait that he crapped on me for. Being "unimaginative".

Now were getting somewhere. Actual useful criticism.

Could you point out the board you find distracting? Below is a picture of t he top:

What pattern?

Again, useful criticism. Could you point out the videos and time frame whe re a board "lifted"? I remember a piece of ply lifting a little but nothin g dramatic.

A blade too low leads to kickback? That's news to me.

A blade that is excessively high is more dangerous than one that is too low (but still cuts all the way through).

Could you elaborate here?

Finally a complement (I think). Thank you :)

Reply to
brian

Why? It may be a faster maneuver but you need to swing your blade over and re-align to 90 degrees. (Here is where you tell me you trust your positive stop and we have a lengthy discussion about sawdust gumming up the works. )

Most woodworkers despise tilting their blade.

Reply to
brian

To easily understand, you would need to repost the original picture, the one that this link has replaced. But it shows up better in the first video opening shot below.

The right middle top board here.

Leon

On 7/3/2013 1:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote: ...

From what data did you create that "statistic/fact"????

I, for one, do it quite frequently and like Leon trust the stops (and have never found reason not to).

Reply to
dpb

ommy boy, who had actually encouraged me to do so with his comment about ex pecting flames for his post. Maybe I encouraged Garage boy by coming down o n his side, which isn't always the case, I have trashed his stuff before as well.

felt it was over the top in terms of harshness (is that a word?)and more d enigrating than necessary so I jumped in to provide some defense, assuming Garage boy would likely not.

eader) and I loved Sam Maloof, he was a sweet and talented man and I learne d a few things from him over the years but I have no love for that swoopy d esign type stuff so likely would be unimpressed.

found them to be weak and uninspiring. His best of the bunch was the Maloo f knock-off chair but this didn't demonstrate the very trait that he crappe d on me for. Being "unimaginative".

Like I told you when you originally asked - it was an artifact of the photo graphy.

Nothing wrong with the top. It is very pleasing to look at.

It's all in how the light hits the wood. It is a very pleasing top to look at.

Reply to
brian

It is admittedly a based on limited data from reading forums and commentary.

Take it for what it is but it shouldn't come as a shock.

Good on you.

Reply to
brian

Well in all honesty, I use a tilt box to verify that the positive stops are accurate with in .1 degrees and my rips produce square edges good enough for glue up. This was true for my old Jet cabinet saw and my new ICS SawStop.

Well I will agree that many do but that is all in learning how to set the saw up so that you can trust its settings and stops. Personally I despise using chamfer bits on my router table. Too much set up time vs, tilting my blade.

I understand your concerns, been there and done that, but I have quite a bit more experience than you and have learned over the years what works better and how to work efficiently.

Reply to
Leon

I am sure it looks great but that first picture was not as flattering as the current.

Reply to
Leon

It's not an individual board, it's that the four don't go together well--there's too much difference in color and grain pattern between each such that the juxtaposition is distracting.

It looks as though it were two boards and that you put one on the to edges and the other in the middle two. W/o more material from either of the two selections to try to match, I'd have probably veneered the top from the board that is the two outers and, perhaps, laid it as an inset panel framed by the cherry or some other way to even out the disparity that shows up as is...

The continuity of similar grain/color from one piece to the next as discussed above...

I think other than the above on better grain-matching it would have been improved if it were made to look a little "lighter" on its feet--it seems a little heavy to me.

I'd have tapered the legs a little more and certainly have lightened-up the edges of the top by at least a chamfer if not actually thinning the edge by a bottom taper or using a fully-shaped edge. The hard square corners are a kick in the eyes, too, imo.

While on grain, quarter-sawn material for the legs would eliminate the different grain pattern shown on the front and front rear legs--the rear one looks as though it is close from what can tell; the front has face on one side, edge on the other that doesn't match well...

Tage Frid's first book (and I think it's also in Hoadley's) has a good demo of choosing grain direction for legs to make them nearly symmetric from each side...

Reply to
dpb

Which is, imo, worthless...unless one has a saw that is poorly made so that stops aren't reproducible--in which case it probably isn't very easy to rely on it for anything else, either.

I don't see why it shouldn't (be a surprise/shock, that is)...as I think we've discussed before, there's a whole history of woodworking long before the 'net and forums even existed and it seems most of the ones around now are pretty much only relatively newcomers w/ little if any actual production experience.

Reply to
dpb

Which is exactly why I didn't use a chamfer bit. Tilting the router fence and using a straight bit is much faster (In my experience) than tilting and re-aligning a fence. And an insignificant point to pick on. Agree?

You are incredibly hung up on "experience". That's twice you've used this one.

As a Ph.D. chemist I have met some incredibly bad chemists that had more "experience" than me. And I have met M.S. level chemists that have rocked my world. It's meaningless and arbitrary and I don't understand your attraction to it.

Reply to
brian

Tommy boy, who had actually encouraged me to do so with his comment about expecting flames for his post. Maybe I encouraged Garage boy by coming down on his side, which isn't always the case, I have trashed his stuff before as well.

I felt it was over the top in terms of harshness (is that a word?)and more denigrating than necessary so I jumped in to provide some defense, assumi ng Garage boy would likely not.

reader) and I loved Sam Maloof, he was a sweet and talented man and I lear ned a few things from him over the years but I have no love for that swoopy design type stuff so likely would be unimpressed.

I found them to be weak and uninspiring. His best of the bunch was the Mal oof knock-off chair but this didn't demonstrate the very trait that he crap ped on me for. Being "unimaginative".

e of the top:

I have a few of myself that are like that.

Reply to
brian

Brian has a perfectly good saw, he is just not comfortable in trusting his stops.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, I hope you meant to say,

Tilting the router fence and using a straight bit is much faster (In my experience) than tilting and re-aligning a "blade".

We work with the methods that we get the best results. I have been down the road you are going. You will be a much better woodworker because of that, years down the road. You experiment, you learn. You obviously put a great deal of thought into your tilting router fence. You see value in using the fence that way. We were just kicking around different methods of how we would have done some things differently, you can learn from that. Perhaps you will realize What tolerances are acceptable/noticeable and which are not. Some times being AR gets in the way of efficiency, I am an expert on that. ;~)

Swingman and have built several kitchen in the past. In his shop he cuts dado's in the backs of the rails and stiles for the face frames and assembles the face frames. In my I cut the panels from the sheet goods which will fit into those dado's in the back of the face frames, and the sheet goods get dado's also. Eventually we bring all of the face frames and cabinets panels together and assemble the cabinets. We have to trust out machinery for the parts to fit perfectly every time. So in that example being equally AR is a good thing. ;~)

Keep the imagination going! When I was 19 years old I had been interested in wood working for half my life. I was self taught and at that age designed and build a "contraption" that had a back fence to place my wood against and it had an adjustable height moveable fence that pivoted 180 degrees. The adjustable fence sat on top of the wood and acted as a guide for my circular saw. Basically I was trying to duplicate how a RAS operated. It worked great. That was 1974, long before SCMS existed.

Reply to
Leon