Cherry/Lacewood Side Table

I recently finished a side table and I filmed the build process if you're interested in watching.

This was my first time using lacewood and I was happy with how easily it worked for such a highly figured wood.

Criticism ok.

Pictures: Bottom right titled "Side Table in Cherry/Lacewood" (three pictures)

Video: Pt 1

Pt 2
Pt 3

brian

Looks nice. I have seen lacewood before.

How durable/hard is it? Also how expensive is it?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I got it from Woodcraft as my lumberyard does not carry it approx $9/bdft

It seems hard enough but feels deceivingly light when held. A pleasure to work and has a strange smell when cut.

Reply to
brian

Very nice and I like your wooden pull. Did you make that too? And Is it just the lighting in the picture that makes that second top board to appear with so much contrast to the other top boards?

Reply to
Leon

Thank you. Yes I made the pull. The contrast isn't as dramatic in person but the grain does vary.

Reply to
brian

Well, let the flames begin, but Brian, that design is one of the most unimaginative, soul-less designs I've ever seen. Now please don't take this personally because your workmanship is impeccable as is your choice of woods, but they are both wasted on this high school woodshop project.

tommyboy

e interested in watching.

worked for such a highly figured wood.

While I don't agree with you, you must keep in mind that this project was d one as a build-a-long for my viewers. While I think the piece is beautiful as is and doesn't need extra embellishment, I didn't want to add extra fea tures that might be outside of the skill level of some of the build-a-long participants.

Everyone has their own taste as to what they find appealing in a piece of f urniture. I'm sure you could have expressed your taste and dislikes w/o ac tually sounding like a high-school'er in the process, but you chose not to and thus your comments reflect more on your character than on my craftsmans hip. The random mindless/thoughtless comment are what I've come to expect at the wrec so no harm done.

Cheers, BG

For info on the build-a-long go here:

brian

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Somehow I couldn't get the videos to play.

Reply to
G. Ross

Tommy Boy,

Flames? Let me be the first. Apparently you have no fricking taste at all. This project is a classic, stickley-esque presentation of beautiful wood, e xcellently executed. This is soul-less? You are soul-less apparently lookin g only for beauty is some over adorned and tortured application of all that is complex.

Simplicity is beauty. I typically hate mixed-species wood projects. Walnut breadboards on a cherry table top make me puke. What we have here is an int elligent combination of Lace and Cherry, beautiful, simple lines, classic d ovetails, utilitarian yet beautiful wood pull.

It really is a shame you can't see how beautifully simple and simply beauti ful this piece is.

Can you please point us to the multiple pages of project pictures that you have that shows some of your imaginative and soul-full designs.

By the way, simple lives for ever in design. Other descriptions of imaginat ive and soul-full designs might be "trendy" "cliche" "crap", "WTF?", etc.

From one of my heros... But it is true that oak, ash and elm properly treated, possess attractions that yield to those of no other woods. The undulations of their grain, the soft unobtrusive tones which they assume through skillful polish, the color

-play which runs over their smooth surface are qualities which to be apprec iated need only to be fairly observed. Gustave Stickley The Craftsman, Vol. 1, NO. 1, 1901

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Could you show us some examples of your work?

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
tommyboy

Yes I could. A.B.P.W.

Reply to
tommyboy

Would have liked to see the video, but got a message that blip wants me to turn something off so was unable to watch.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Yeah! Saw them, thanks, very nice!

Reply to
Leon

Let me start. By the way I hope these aren't your best pieces.

Your chair with the scrollsaw work is very high-school woodshop. The patte rn you chose is very boreing and unimaginative. It has no sole. It looks v ery 2-dimensional with the straight faced sides and rails. The two species rail used in the headrest looks badly out of place. The cushion fabric make s me want to vomit. There is nothing special about it.

Very poor grain match in the carved chair back rail. It's very distracting. The arm resets look like they'd be very uncomfortable the way they jet upw ards. The legs are too thin for the piece and don't fit with the scale. Th ey look like they are ready to snap.

The crib is extremely country - not my taste at all. Very boring and unima ginative. There is absolutely nothing special about this piece either. Th e turnings are very dry and you also have a few that have bad color match.

This was the best you could offer to demonstrate your sole-full and imagina tive workmanship? LOL Son, I am your Yoda Master if this is your best work. Now have a seat.

Reply to
brian

Reply to
tommyboy

Sounds as though you're describing your own work..............

Reply to
tommyboy

ttern you chose is very boreing and unimaginative. It has no sole. It look s very 2-dimensional with the straight faced sides and rails. The two speci es rail used in the headrest looks badly out of place. The cushion fabric m akes me want to vomit. There is nothing special about it.

ng. The arm resets look like they'd be very uncomfortable the way they jet upwards. The legs are too thin for the piece and don't fit with the scale. They look like they are ready to snap.

imaginative. There is absolutely nothing special about this piece either. The turnings are very dry and you also have a few that have bad color matc h.

inative workmanship? LOL

You did more damage to yourself with your ABPW post than any zinger I could send your way in retort :)

Reply to
brian

Brian your work is good enough you don't have to go therre

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M