Cannot find cheap compass for scribing...

Page 2 of 2
General (the company that makes rulers, dowel jigs, etc, not the CN green iron folks) makes a compass that is fairly robust, has a threaded cross rod with a nut, and works better than the grade school compasses you can get for $1.50 at OfficeMax or Walmart. I paid $5 for mine a few years back at a wood show. I think Lowes or the Borg carries the line.
Mutt

Wal-Mart.
[More proof to bolster my theory...]

Make one from two straight sections of wood. Tape a pencil to one end.
scott

Hardware store