Canada wins NAFTA ruling on softwood lumber

Page 1 of 3
<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040901/wl_canada_a fp/us_canada_lumber&e=5>
Excerpt:
"The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) review panel rejected claims by Washington that its lumber producers had suffered damage as a result of Canadian imports.
The panel ordered the US International Trade Commission to reverse its determination on the lumber imports, which resulted in the laying of 19 percent countervailing duties on Canadian wood, within 10 days."

Two things, 1. the news reports here indicate its a 27% duty and 2. The US can appeal, dragging this out (it seems) interminally..
Its already been going on 2 years..it seems they'll just keep it up til they get the result they want, meanwhile, the extra overhead is passed on to who ? The US consumer..

they
Cooperation with the ICBM may do it for bush, I think!

Huh?

Or slowing down the flow of Canadian oil and gas into the US.

And the Canadian millworkers also suffer too. This all sucks. The NAFTA panel has told the US Govt to stop fighting the rulings.
Today's Globe and Mail Report on Business reports that the WTO has "given Canada the go-ahead to slap trade sanctions on the U.S., which could amount to billions of dollars if Washington hands the more than $2.7-billion (U.S.) in softwood levies collected from Canadian timber over to American forest companies."
Tell you what. US will export some environmentalists, if you'll take 'em duty free, and nobody will harvest wood within ten years....

A common debating tactic with both conservatives and liberals in the United States is to assume that the most radical positions of the opposite side represent the views of every opponent. For example, "those loony tree huggers want to ban all logging." In fact the vast majority of conservationists call for RESPONSIBLE cutting and reforestration rather than the clearcutting that was the industry norm a few years ago. Even the lumber industry has bought into that for its own long-term good. In fact, shipping a few conservationists to Canada would be a benefit for its industry and a loss to ours.
Bob

We've got enough up here, tenjewberrymush.
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

than
You're right. However, the problem with many current "reforestation" efforts is the same problem with tomatoes in the grocery store ... product is genetically designed for the benefit of the corporation, not the consumer.
Then again, a tasteless red biomass with soft seeds is marginally better in a salad than nothing for those who never experienced the difference .... and add a corollary for a tubafour while you're at it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

And force-grown. It's still better than a depressing bald spot in what once was a forest.

Sure: Corollary: never include reforested wood in your salad.
Are you saying you don't like square tomatoes that ship well? You oughta see the hardwood peaches we get up here in Wisconsin.
No, you shouldn't
Bob
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

once
I got a kick out of the clear-cut practice/subterfuge/token-to-the-environmentalist (however you want to view it) in Southern Arkansas where the land is flatter ... they leave strips along the roads so you can't see the clear-cut and, as you're driving through, you'd swear there wasn't a logging company for miles.
Probably what the suits tritely refer to as a "win-win" ... but, of course, they win more.
Along those same lines, I am looking for some "heirloom" tomato seeds for next year ... anyone know of a good source for old stock, genetically unaltered, tomato?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Got any wood-frame (Obww) farmer's tomato stands in your area? We're just wrapping up the second coldest summer on record, and I finally, today, the First of September, found ripe tomatoes at the local stand. Sheesh.
Bob
"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

Global warming, eh?
We do have an abundance of farmer's produce markets and stands down here in Texas, but most of the tomatoes are still of the hybrid variety that are "engineered" more for shelf life than taste. I've been growing my own for a while, on the front porch in an "earth box", but the varieties available as seedlings are the same, basically tasteless, hybrids that you get at the markets.
Taste being one of the last things to go, and wanting to take full advantage of that fact, it is apparent that if I want to taste a real tomato again, like the one's we had as kids on the farm, I am going to have to go to extraordinary measures to do so. Next year I want to plant some old heirloom seeds, in a flat like we used to do, then transplant to the "earth box", and see if that doesn't improve things.
I've got a shaker with a combination of salt and pepper in it out in the shop (Obww), and always keep a couple of tomatoes in the shop fridge ... keeps your hand steady for those taper jig cuts. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Once again, a non-scientist confuses "weather" with "climate".
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

just
the
And once again, someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the actual facts jumps to an erroneous conclusion.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Right, because one particular cold summer in one particular region has anything at all to do with global warming.
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

facts
It was a JOKE, Dave ... you missed that too.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Ah, you see, it's so hard to tell when someone is only _acting like_ they don't understand science and saying "It was cold today therefore global warming is false", and when they're actually saying that and meaning it. I've had that conversation with more than a few people who don't understand short-term vs. long-term trends, and I thought you were one of them. I'm sorry; I didn't see that you were joking.
Dave Hinz
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

Agreed ... but no liberal arts major here. Too many years of the reek of chemistry labs went up my nose to fall for that kind of logic. ;>)

No problem ... while I thought "eh?" was a dead giveaway, I apologize for not being more emphatic considering the medium.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04