Canada goose, off subject

Page 1 of 3
I noticed Kerry shot a Canada goose, I thought you could practically walk up to them [IE no need for camouflage outfits].
That led me to wonder if they are edible, and if they are and they are so plentiful why we aren't eating them for thanksgiving ???
--
http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

All we need up here is a cookie and a hammer!

Mike Hide wrote:

My in-house culinary expert says that most people find geese too greasy (ditto for duck); and turkey less so. It isn't that goose isn't good tasting, it's just more work for the cook.
[I've only ever tried to roast turkey - never goose or duck.]
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Mike Hide wrote:

JGS wrote:

Good luck, Buddy.
Here in NE Ohio there is a deer problem in and around the Cuyohoga National park. People can't have gardens car strikes are very common. On the order of 4 or 5 a week. When Rut comes in you avoid the area.
THere is great resistance by some towards thinning the herds. Some dumbasses feed these woods rats because ... hell, who knows why. They think these things are Bambi? I guess they have no idea what happens if you get in the way of a Buck or between a Doe and it's fawn.
About Kerry in camo? I wondered what the hell he was doing, he looked like a frigging goofball.
I think he would have done better had he done 100 yard target with a 308.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio

I've certainly walked up very close to them.

I believe they are, but the taste is strongly influenced by what they've been eating and isn't something you'd eat from choice.
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Which down here on the Gulf Coast is generally grain like rice or soy beans, for they're hunted in those fields during migration. The wild Canadian's that migrate through here must not be the same species as in the more urban areas of the north that frequent parks and golf courses, because these are wild and wary fowl ... no way in hell would you "walk up" on them.

Like hell, you say ... the wild variety that migrate are very good to eat. They roast well, make a good gumbo, or my favorite way, 'chicken fry' the breast, much as you would venison backstrap. There is little "greasy" about a bird that flew 2000 miles to get here.
Obviously most folks who bring their meat home from the super market saran wrapped by someone else wouldn't have a clue how to prepare them, but I guarantee I'll take all anyone wants to give away ... and shame on them!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

They tasted good enough when I hunted in MI. Clean them like ducks and go for broke.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

At this stage of my life, I tend to prefer supermarket (well, butcher shop) meats, but at one time...Canada geese have become a damned nuisance in a lot of areas, but I think the original poster was aiming a shot at Kerry for hunting nearly tame animals. I've seen Canadas that you could walk close to, though the hissing is ferocious, and others that are beating wings quickly. It seems to me, that for hunting, you'd walk them up, or have a dog that will walk them up, then not take a shot until they're well on their way, so the job is not much different than duck hunting and quail hunting.
It would be nice if people would remember the election was over more than a week ago. Kerry lost. He is, or soon will be, completely out of office. Thus, it's rather pointless to keep poking at him.
Charlie Self "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Being raised on a farm, I know what a damned nuisance tame ducks and geese are, particularly when you have a back porch, or driveway, that they decide to frequent ... it being my almost daily task of spraying off said surfaces until I left home at 17.
There is apparently a sub-species of Canada Goose loosely called the "resident" variety that are larger than the ones that typically migrate to this area. These "resident" geese are basically non-migratory, and I believe it is this sub-species that most folks are talking about when the phrase "damned nuisance" is used in conjunction with "Canada Goose".
When hunting the migrating variety down here, we do so either laying on the ground, covered in white, in the middle of a "goose spread" (generally made up of a few decoys and hundreds of white rags), or in a camouflaged pit dug along a levee or rice field. Very uncomfortable hunting, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it two or three times a week during goose season when younger.
Although I occasionally miss the thrill of being in the middle of 50,000 geese landing around your spread on a freezing foggy morning, I no longer relish laying on the cold, wet ground at my age .. which is absolutely necessary to get anywhere within shotgun range of this migrating variety.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

doesn't he have 2 years left on his senate term?
On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:46:31 -0700, Charles Spitzer

Could be. If so, I wonder if he'll show up for work any better than he has in the past?
Dave "Then again, in his case, absence is preferable..." Hinz

Probably as good a chance as Bush (tho that would not be much of an accomplishment).

Yeah, because of course Bush can't work while at Camp David, right? Where senate business, well, when your job is to go to meetings and to vote on stuff, that's pretty much a one-location thing, innit.
Apples and oranges, Greg, and you know it (or you should).

Here in Rochester, where we have a flock of over 35,000 Giant Canada Geese, you can walk right up to them in the city and you can't get within a hundred yards of the same geese out in the country where the hunting is legal.
And they know exactly where the line is, and fly about 100 yards inside it. There is a story here about a guy who lured one into his car down by the town lake (silver lake) with some corn. Had the idea to drive it to his house for dinner. Bad idea.
del cecchi
Any cook who serves up a greasy goose needs to go back to school. That is like complaining that deer isn't fit to eat because it doesn't taste like beef and is too dry. And I'll choose the taste of wild goose over supermarket/factory chicken or turkey any day of the week. But then I am not a fan of fused chicken nuggets.
George Anderson
New Kentucky Chicken Rings, bet ya can't guess what part of the bird the little rings come from...

ranted:

I can't understand what people expect when they try venison or wild game birds. They say "Ooh, it's gamey." Well, DUH! That's the point! Bambi Flamb c'est magnifique!

I call those "Chicken McDog Nuts" People EAT those?
-- Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
calmly

Wellll maybe. I was almost raised on deer meat. I hated it and it had a strong taste. After years of not eating it I was reintroduced to it and I got no gamey flavor at all. I think it has a lot to do with when the deer was shot, how it was processed, and how it was cooked. We shot all season long and the later in the season, the tougher the meat, We process the meat ourselves. Apparently there is a much better way than the way we did it. ;~)
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:34:02 GMT, "Leon"

Hang them upside down and let them bleed out right away, then get the butchering done as soon as possible. The longer it sits, the gameier it is, especially if you hang it by the neck and don't bleed it out. It's also a good idea to hunt near cornfields if you don't like the gamey taste.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam