Cabinet Saw time

Page 3 of 3
I own the Grizzly model you are considering. I wanted a Delta Unisaw but ended up with a Grizzly because of the price. My saw arrived with a poorly machined left miter slot. The slot was narrower towards the front of the saw than the rear which resulted in too much slop when using the miter. I called Grizzly and was told to send the table top back. It took about 3 weeks to get back a replacement top ( Grizzly paid freight both ways ). The new top was milled correctly and I have had no other problems. I'd buy one again, although if I had the money, I'd still prefer the Delta. In my opinion, the machining of the table top is just about the most important factor in saw selection. If the miter slots are not perfectly sized and parallel, you'll have trouble switching your fence and/or miter from left to right of the blade and building jigs that required the use of 2 slots.

Thanks for the tips guys. One of the things Dave mentioned is the quality/flatness/etc. of the top. This is one of the reasons i got rid of my delta contractor saw. The table on both side bowed slight in towards the throat. When cutting smaller pieces the blade would not be 90 degrees to the table as it would change as the distance out from the blade increased. VERY frustrating. I can afford the time to send a top back to a manufacturer if required as I am not in constant need of my saw. This is simply a hobby for me (one of many) but I do like to have quality equipment. I was spoiled working with a friend when we used to build speaker cabinets. He was a stickler for quality joints and therefore had quality equipment. It is hard to shake that mentality/desire. I think I will hold out for that 3 HP cabinet saw be it Jet or Grizzly.
Thanks again all for the info.
Paul