C/D

Ok, I've got a question for the learned. I just got in from delivering and setting up the moawb* to my brother, who owns a trophy shop. Seems he has had several requests to have a cd mounted on a plaque. He posed a question to me as to how he could recess a cd into his premade, prefinished plaque boards. My question to all, is there a forstner bit made that big? Or any other kind of bit, besides a hole saw bit, that would work. It don't matter about the little "dimple" a forstner bit would make, just that it can't be a

1/4" hole a hole saw pilot bit would make. Once recessed, the plaque would have a plexi "face" over it. I just measured a cd and it's about 4 3/4" in diameter. Just looking for some suggestions without a helluva lot of setup time and jig work. He hasn't got a variety of tools to work with, just a dp, miter saw, stuff to make trophies. I appreciate any input here.

*moawb = Mother of all work benches

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

router and template.

Reply to
Bridger

If it were me, I'd use a scroll saw to cut a template hole in 3/4" ply and use that with a template cutter (top bearing) in the router to route out the shallow recess (a CD is only 0.050" thick, about 3/64).

Without a scroll saw, look for a "adjustable circle cutter" like the Grizzly G8964 to cut the template (I'd still use a router to do the recess though).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Ditto the router and template suggestion.

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Use a router with a circle template and route out the waste

John

Reply to
John Crea

Reply to
Wayne K.

Sounds like router and bushing guide job to me.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks guy's. Router and template was the way I was leaning too. Guess he'll want to borrow one of my routers now.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Thanks guy's. Router and template was the way I was leaning too. Guess he'll want to borrow one of my routers now.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Thanks guy's. Router and template was the way I was leaning too. Guess he'll want to borrow one of my routers now.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

Ooops. I was having a little trouble this afternoon. Didn't mean for this to be posted so many times.

Reply to
Jerry Gilreath

No Problem, you can never say thank you too many times.

Reply to
Mike G