C/D

Ok, I've got a question for the learned. I just got in from delivering and setting up the moawb* to my brother, who owns a trophy shop. Seems he has had several requests to have a cd mounted on a plaque. He posed a question to me as to how he could recess a cd into his premade, prefinished plaque boards. My question to all, is there a forstner bit made that big? Or any other kind of bit, besides a hole saw bit, that would work. It don't matter about the little "dimple" a forstner bit would make, just that it can't be a 1/4" hole a hole saw pilot bit would make. Once recessed, the plaque would have a plexi "face" over it. I just measured a cd and it's about 4 3/4" in diameter. Just looking for some suggestions without a helluva lot of setup time and jig work. He hasn't got a variety of tools to work with, just a dp, miter saw, stuff to make trophies. I appreciate any input here.
*moawb = Mother of all work benches
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:07:58 GMT, "Jerry Gilreath"

router and template.
If it were me, I'd use a scroll saw to cut a template hole in 3/4" ply and use that with a template cutter (top bearing) in the router to route out the shallow recess (a CD is only 0.050" thick, about 3/64).
Without a scroll saw, look for a "adjustable circle cutter" like the Grizzly G8964 to cut the template (I'd still use a router to do the recess though).
Ditto the router and template suggestion.
Jim

Use a router with a circle template and route out the waste
John
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:07:58 GMT, "Jerry Gilreath"

In his drillpress, mount a circle cutter with the pilot bit as shallow as possible. Set the circle cutter for the dimension of the CD. Then cut smaller circles inside. Clean out in between each circle with a sharp, wide chisel. The shallow depth required would make this an easy task.

matter
dp,
Sounds like router and bushing guide job to me.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Thanks guy's. Router and template was the way I was leaning too. Guess he'll want to borrow one of my routers now.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Thanks guy's. Router and template was the way I was leaning too. Guess he'll want to borrow one of my routers now.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Ooops. I was having a little trouble this afternoon. Didn't mean for this to be posted so many times.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
No Problem, you can never say thank you too many times.