Burning Problems with Ogee Bit

Hi All, Recently I completed several small clocks. I put a decorative edge on the bases with a 5/32" roman ogee bit mounted in a 1.5hp router in a table. Unfortunately, I had some burning issues with it, especially on the cherry version (only on the end grain). What surprises me is that this problem didn't show up on the white oak version and only mildly on the poplar. Is this simply a case of a dull bit? I've tried different feed rates with no change in results. I really need to finish the router table extension to mount my pc to, this one is an old craftsman that has served me well but I wonder if it could just be underpowered (no matter the feed rate the motor bogged down).

TIA

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

It sounds like you could have a combination of problems working against you. First off Cherry will burn easily to start with. Second, you may very well have a dull bit as indicated by your router bogging down regardless of your feed rate. Third, a slow feed rate because of bogging down will very often burn wood.

I would get the bit sharpened or replace it with a good quality one.

Reply to
Leon