Brand Loyalty?

Page 2 of 2
I got fed up with batteries over five years ago. These battery-operated tools don't have the lasting power and the batteries don't seem to hold up after numerous recharges. I now use only corded tools, mostly Milwaukee, Makita, PC, and DeWalt. With lots of electrical outlets in my shop, a cord is no problem. Plus, I bought a heavy duty 100 foot cord for backyard use of power tools.

I'd be with you if only the corded drills had clutch settings and electronic brakes. IMHO the drill is the only type tool that has any advantage being cordless in a shop.

"_All_else_ being equal", I'll make the buying decision based on brand-name. (Previous good experience with the brand (or manufacturer support) gets an up-check. Previous bad experience gets a down-check.)
Note: It is *rare* that "all else" =is= equal; thus rarely is "brand" the _determining_ factor in my purchases.
spake:

Sometimes. I have 5 Grizzly tools. Two I bought new (bandsaw and DC) because they were the best price/performance. I received their little trim router as a gift for that purchase. After seeing them and finding quality, the next purchases were a used Griz planer and the new Shop Fox mortiser. I haven't been let down at all.
I also have Makita, Skil, B&D, Crapsman, Chiwanese Generic, Porter Cable, and Harbor Freight corded and cordless tools.
Other than a very high respect and penchant for Grizzly, I don't have any brand loyalties. The many complaints from Jet and Delta owners here weaned me from considering or getting attached to those companies. The merger news (for several sets of companies in the past decade) was horrid and customer service suffered for everyone. Happily, none of my tools (purchasing or owned) was affected.
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming

The only time I had "brand loyalty" was when I was buying mostly Craftsman tools... and that was because my neighbor got a 25% employee discount..
I doubt that any company has the "best" tool for all uses.. case in point would be the HF dust collector, which is highly recommended on the wRECk, but who recommends their table saw or their planers?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"User" wrote:

I see a lot of PC in my place. It's not on purpose though. My first couple of pieces were PC. When I would go to buy a new tool, having had a good experience with PC, if the reviews of the PC were about as good I would tend to buy it.
--
San Diego Joe

I've been a bit biased towards DeWalt for my cordless stuff simply because I've ended up with a bunch of interchangable batteries. Other than that I have a real mix of stuff.
Allen
Nope - I tend to just the best tool for the job. Before buying any particular tool, ask or look to see what to the professionals use in that application. For example, I would not normally consider Skil a brand name worth using. However, the Skilsaw Mag77 is the best framing saw made. It's the saw of choice for framers (West Coast USA).
The sting of price is brief, the pain from a cheap tool lasts considerable longer.
Dave An unmitigated tool junkie.