BookCase Update and HDR Photog

Page 3 of 4
On 01/14/2010 04:09 PM, GarageWoodworks wrote:

I use a Sony A700. Didn't want to get rid of my Minolta glass.
Checking the specs, it appears I misspoke. It's either 3 or 5 shots, not 7. I haven't played with the HDR options much, but I think I can set it to up to +/-2 stops between shots.
Chris

Can't lock it up?
On 01/14/2010 04:28 PM, Robatoy wrote:

The A700 doesn't have a separate mirror lockup. If you set a 2 second delay then press the shutter release it locks the mirror up then after 2 seconds trips the shutter.
However, you can't mix the delay with the auto bracketing, so if you want to use mirror lockup with HDR imaging you have to either touch the camera or drive it via a computer.
I think the A900 has true mirror lockup. It's also a 24MP camera and costs mucho dinero.
Chris

I have found that one over and one under bracketing is lots. You don't really gain from all those steps in between. I'm glad to see you didn't go overboard with the process. Less is more.
On 01/14/2010 04:04 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Maybe for most shots. If you're shooting in a dim room with backlit windows and snow outside you'll need more than one over. :)
Chris

You may want to dip into the shadows a bit by an extra over exposure (or two) but you're right, in most cases 3 is enough. Tough to keep the noise out of the shadows in any extreme case. (I'm saving my money for an M9...as if...)

Great picture and the case looks good too. ;~)
You can get away with a 3 pic process on the HDR, since it all averages out from one extreme to the other you may not see any difference when taking more pictures.
BUT what else are you doing...to get the DHR effect? Usually there is an HDR tool...
Your picture is really well taken..
For a bit of inspiration take a look at the links below.
This guy's photographs are what lured me to using HDR a few years ago and he really has a way of pushing the limits to make the photographs have a painting appearance.
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id#47718&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id#29299&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id "81063&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id !82327&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 58932&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 51576&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 00553&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 91085&forward=viewportfolio http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 89833&forward=viewportfolio

Looks I need an account to view those, aside from the first (which is awesome!). Thanks.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id#47718&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view ? id#29299&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view ?
id"81063&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view ?
id!82327&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view ?
id 58932&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 51576&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 00553&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 91085&forward=viewportfoliohttp://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 89833&forward=viewportfolio
Looks I need an account to view those, aside from the first (which is awesome!). Thanks.
Pretty cool, the links got screwed up, you don't need an account IIRC.
Here are a couple I took with HDR and "with out". I screwed up the lighting on the HDR, of course, the back lighting lightened the left side of the foot board.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4275428546/in/photostream /
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4275442450/in/photostream /

Nice! And I especially like the furniture.

Nice! And I especially like the furniture.
Thank you... those are the tower project, bedroom furniture I am working on...

You shouldn't need an account to browse through these: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=HDR&w=all -- Dave in Houston flickr :: HaveNikon_WillTravel http://www.pbase.com/speedracer

Awesome! Thank you.

I should change my flickr link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuwave_dave /
--
Dave in Houston
flickr :: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nuwave_dave /
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id#47718&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id#29299&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id "81063&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id !82327&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 58932&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 51576&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 00553&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 91085&forward=viewportfolio
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id 89833&forward=viewportfolio

this department. And I sypathyze with having to spend big bucks on some tools. I need to do similar things as well for my business, And forgive me for pointing out the obvious.
You CAN deduct the cost of a camera since you are definitely using it for business.
I know, I know, deductions don't pay the bills. Now if I could just figure out how to do that! ;-)
On 01/14/2010 06:42 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Check the tax rules, but around here it would need to be pro-rated based on amount of business vs personal use, and it would also need to be depreciated over multiple years.
Chris
"Chris Friesen" wrote

179. That is in the USA. I don't know what is done elsewhere. Presently we are allowed to deduct up to a little over $100,000 a year. If you do this, you are not allowed to depreciate it.
On 1/15/2010 12:08 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Can you spell "Festool" and Sec179 in the same breath, you betcha sweet ass!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 01/15/2010 12:08 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Interesting. Up here in Canada capital costs (like buying equipment over a certain dollar amount) have to be depreciated over a longer period rather than written off directly.
As a financial stimulus there is currently an exception for computer equipment though, but that's a temporary thing.
Chris